Daart (Yulong) Canary (DAC/AMP based on ES9018-K2M)
Aug 3, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #16 of 32
Looks like you can get a new one anywhere from $230-$250 in the US. For the price, I think it beats out the comparable Schiit Vali/Modi stack that so many people are running.

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #18 of 32
Now I'm curious about Canary's output Z.
Don't get me wrong, the DAC/amp works well with my 250Ohm DT880s, but as I have ordered a pair of 62Ohm K7XX, I'm worrying whether its output Z will be too high for these new cans. I've heard the K7xx series dont perform well with amps with high output Z

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #19 of 32
FYI, I have recently got an confirmation from eBay seller wsz0304 (whose name also appears in one of Yulong's emails) that Yulong DAART Canary has an output impedance of 10 Ohm. I think this is why it sounds much warmer and different than my zero-ohm Fiio A5.

Feb 2, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #20 of 32
FYI, I have recently got an confirmation from eBay seller wsz0304 (whose name also appears in one of Yulong's emails) that Yulong DAART Canary has an output impedance of 10 Ohm. I think this is why it sounds much warmer and different than my zero-ohm Fiio A5.

How does the amp section of the Daart sound compared to the O2 with your high and low impedance headphones?

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #21 of 32
How does the amp section of the Daart sound compared to the O2 with your high and low impedance headphones?
The amp actually does fine with my K7XXs. They are powerful enough for my cans. I would say this is actually a warmer-sounding amp than the O2. This is expressed in product's FR measurement as well.
Both are dead silent for AKGK7XXs, Beyer DT880s, and my HD 600s.

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 32
Received one yesterday. I want to connect it to the PC and compare it to my Grace M9XX. I've been listening through the optical input served via DLNA through my Vizio TV and USB though my Pixel 2. Used HD-6XX, Aduioquest Nighthawks, Sony WH1000mx2 headphones on it so far and as a front end to feed an Arcam rHead. My first impressions are quite positive but it's almost too etched, too detailed. It's why I need to get things onto a more controlled direct source PC comparison, I need to ensure things aren't getting transcoded which is one of the complaints I have about this unit. The only feedback as to the signal you're getting is if the unit detects DSD playback. Interestingly I cannot get it to do so through DLNA even though my Onkyo Receiver will do it through the same Serviio server on my network. Hopefully will get some more one on one time this weekend.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #23 of 32
Hi, how do you compare the headphone output directly from the unit to the one from the Rhead?, I've been holding the purchase since new ESS DAC options arrived (ES9028/38), but they don't seem to improve much (if any) on the older 9018 parts.

Does the headphone amp quality rival something like the Rhead, otherwise it may be better so spend a little more and buy a separate DAC + Rhead, since these can be found at reasonable prices nowadays. Also, is the line output fixed or volume controlled?.

The complains that I have seen for the Canary headphone output is that it is too warm (suggesting high output impedance), but I haven't found any reliable source for the output impedance value, and no measurements at all.

Thanks and regards.

Received one yesterday. I want to connect it to the PC and compare it to my Grace M9XX. I've been listening through the optical input served via DLNA through my Vizio TV and USB though my Pixel 2. Used HD-6XX, Aduioquest Nighthawks, Sony WH1000mx2 headphones on it so far and as a front end to feed an Arcam rHead. My first impressions are quite positive but it's almost too etched, too detailed. It's why I need to get things onto a more controlled direct source PC comparison, I need to ensure things aren't getting transcoded which is one of the complaints I have about this unit. The only feedback as to the signal you're getting is if the unit detects DSD playback. Interestingly I cannot get it to do so through DLNA even though my Onkyo Receiver will do it through the same Serviio server on my network. Hopefully will get some more one on one time this weekend.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #24 of 32
The line output is fixed. I'm currently using it as a DAC from the optical output of my TV to the rHead in my Den. My PC had to be reformatted so I just recently got everything up and running and haven't done the comparisons as much as I would like. I attempted to get the unit to play DSD files last night and while it will indeed play them and foobar reports the file as such the DSD indicator is not turning on on the Canary front panel. Once I know I'm getting the right data stream I'll be able to do some better comparisons. I do know this without much any comparison the rHead is an absolute steal for what it's going for these days. It has some of the best control of any amp I've tested without getting shouty or strident in any way.

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #25 of 32
Thanks, I may go to the Rhead + separate DAC combination, the problem is that I can't audition the Rhead locally, and all the reviews that I found say that the soundstage isn't its strong point, and that's something that I value, and the reason that I'm still using a (somewhat sirupy sounding) tube headphone amp.

The Daart Canary doesn't seem to be very popular and nowadays can be found pretty cheap, and if the headphone output can deliver it would be a very interesting option (I think that its direct competitor is the Aune X1S), and I like the Canary's aesthetics much better, but I don't want more stuff piling up and I prefer to invest a bit more into something that will last some time.

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #26 of 32
The Canary is NOT sirupy. I was actually expecting warmer from the Class A circuitry than the unit actually is. I got the drivers and DSD working properly. Oh my kingdom to make a light on the front panel of a DAC/AMP light up despite the fact that DSD isn't my favorite codec on headphones. Such is the life of a techie. So far with just jumping through various content without spending an inordinate amount of time wrapped up in the system I find myself switching to a new piece of music getting very pleasantly surprised by the detail and presentation and then immediately cranking up the volume. Then I listen for a while impressed with what the amp can do but invariably it becomes a little much and I find myself turning it back down again. The issue here is that it can easily drive headphones beyond comfortable listening levels so I'm not blaming the Canary for doing something wrong, it's definitely me being overzealous trying to discover something new and something amazing in already familiar material. Without spending more time at more reasonable listening levels in non new toy mode I won't have a really nuanced opinion. However... if I start thinking about performance based on $250... It's a no brainier to give it a shot. I've never been one to put much faith in device A being uncategorically better than device B especially when talking about headphone amps of similar price that push enough voltage to provide appropriate driver movement. As a desktop device with USB, Coax, Optical, and Analog inputs with a very detailed sound, plenty of power, and a smallish footprint it's a great option. I'll post more impressions as they happen and actually do some A/B. I think I need an SPL meter.

May 31, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #28 of 32
I just recieved my canary and there is one problem. While playing dsd files in foobar with asio output the dsd indicator on front panel does not lighting up. Any thoughts on that? The only driver I installed for win7 from official site is Canary Driver_v4.38. Maybe I should choose another output or do some changes to my system?

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #29 of 32
I just recieved my canary and there is one problem. While playing dsd files in foobar with asio output the dsd indicator on front panel does not lighting up. Any thoughts on that? The only driver I installed for win7 from official site is Canary Driver_v4.38. Maybe I should choose another output or do some changes to my system?
Some additional FB2K plugins (in addition to Canary Windows driver) are required to output DSD bit perfectly to external DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back