DAAAAMN YOOOOOU PHILIPS!!!!!!
May 9, 2004 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Surreal

New Head-Fier
So, i want hp1000's, hp910's, or if all else fails hp890's

but i live in the us

so. any suggestions?

i love my 550's but the whole plastic construction thing has lead to loss of strucural integrity....(one ear falls off..)

any website? any mail order service? smuggling in on a boat?

May 9, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 15
You might contact Jan Meier of Meier Audio (just click the sponsor link at the top or the page.) He used to carry a few Philips models, they're not on his site anymore but he may still have a pair or two lying around or be able to get you a pair.

May 9, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 15
I have a pair of HP890's where I've had the "structural intrgrity" problem you mention - the plastic holding the earcups cracked into small pieces, finally completely disitegrating. There was another post here at Head-fi about someone else having the same problem. I'm sure you can find if you search.

I don't know if Philips have improved the production process - otherwise, don't expect your HP 890's to last more than about 1 1/2 year.

They are very nice phones sound quality-wise, though.

May 10, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 15
Roby: Impossible is the word. if you know where to get them and have them shipped, i would be incredibly happy.

ashy larry=joke from chapelle show.

tthank you for the advice all

no site online has these headphones except dvd upgrade.com, anyone used them before? swiiss and they may or may not be legit, ...i dunno , if it comes down to it i will try them i suppose.

May 10, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by erl
I have a pair of HP890's where I've had the "structural intrgrity" problem you mention - the plastic holding the earcups cracked into small pieces, finally completely disitegrating. There was another post here at Head-fi about someone else having the same problem. I'm sure you can find if you search.

I don't know if Philips have improved the production process - otherwise, don't expect your HP 890's to last more than about 1 1/2 year.

They are very nice phones sound quality-wise, though.

This pattern is, regretfully, typically Philips.

Check on the history of their WinCE palmtops, the Nino and especially the Velo. On the Velo small plastic extrusions which made up anchors for the metal hinges cracked, destroying the unit. Customers were really unhappy.

Check on the history of the high-end learning remotes, the Pronto series. Touch screens going dead, because of poor solder joints and design defects in the ribbon cables, after about 1 year. Customers were pissed

Check on their lighting systems, the metal-halide lamps for RPTV's and high-brightness halogen replacement bulbs, like for headlights. The power supplies on the RPTV units are failing to start the halide lamps after a few months, giving Sony and a few other LCD RPTV manufacturers absolute fits. The halogen headlights' filaments fail due to vibration on some models. Customers of the RPTV units with the integrated Philips lamp systems are absolutely fuming mad.

Try the second generation Philips CD player, long gone of course. Plastic drawer, chassis and drive. Misalignments galore, which would prevent the unit from loading and spinning up. "Easy" to correct, once the customer brought the unit in - take apart the unit, remove the drive, remove drawer from chassis, realign system, reassemble. Hell for customer who couldn't figure out why unit stopped playing if they bumped or pushed the drawer sometimes in the slightest.

Regretfully the list with Philips goes on.

And on.

And on.

They nickel and dime, cost-cut every stinkin' lousy corner they can in production of many of their mainstream designs. Every single time. In America the quality Philips goods end up with 'alternate' names - Braun, Norelco, and others. Why? Because anything attached with a Philips nametag - Philips, Philips / Magnavox, etc - ends up with a rotten reputation. I've learned they can't merge the names completely because of the rotten reputation they have in many electronic circles.

Caveat Emptor

May 10, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surreal
Roby: Impossible is the word. if you know where to get them and have them shipped, i would be incredibly happy.

Oh, if a german dealer will not ship the headphones outside Germany, send me the money and I will buy it and ship it to you. Where or what is the problem? We are a community around the world. There is a headphone on Ebay germany and the seller says "ship only to germany", I will buy it for you and ship it around the world to you.

Roby

May 10, 2004 at 9:45 AM Post #10 of 15
Thank you very much everyone.

meier is comin through with the 1000s - good lookin nero

i am going to buy another pair or 550s for sleep use ($20)and then use the the 1000s for all the other stuff.

thank you head fi
you've successfully separated me from my money

another happy member hehe

May 10, 2004 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
This pattern is, regretfully, typically Philips.

Check on the history of their WinCE palmtops, the Nino and especially the Velo. On the Velo small plastic extrusions which made up anchors for the metal hinges cracked, destroying the unit. Customers were really unhappy.

Check on the history of the high-end learning remotes, the Pronto series. Touch screens going dead, because of poor solder joints and design defects in the ribbon cables, after about 1 year. Customers were pissed

Check on their lighting systems, the metal-halide lamps for RPTV's and high-brightness halogen replacement bulbs, like for headlights. The power supplies on the RPTV units are failing to start the halide lamps after a few months, giving Sony and a few other LCD RPTV manufacturers absolute fits. The halogen headlights' filaments fail due to vibration on some models. Customers of the RPTV units with the integrated Philips lamp systems are absolutely fuming mad.

Try the second generation Philips CD player, long gone of course. Plastic drawer, chassis and drive. Misalignments galore, which would prevent the unit from loading and spinning up. "Easy" to correct, once the customer brought the unit in - take apart the unit, remove the drive, remove drawer from chassis, realign system, reassemble. Hell for customer who couldn't figure out why unit stopped playing if they bumped or pushed the drawer sometimes in the slightest.

Regretfully the list with Philips goes on.

And on.

And on.

They nickel and dime, cost-cut every stinkin' lousy corner they can in production of many of their mainstream designs. Every single time. In America the quality Philips goods end up with 'alternate' names - Braun, Norelco, and others. Why? Because anything attached with a Philips nametag - Philips, Philips / Magnavox, etc - ends up with a rotten reputation. I've learned they can't merge the names completely because of the rotten reputation they have in many electronic circles.

Caveat Emptor

There's a rule of thumb known by most Europeans:
If you want gear that lasts avoid Philips.

May 10, 2004 at 10:30 AM Post #12 of 15
don't be put off by the breakeage issue.. so long as you're aware of the problem and handle them accordingly they won't break. Im well chuffed with the hp890s ive had for about a year. they're every thing my cd3000s are in terms of frequency response, just not as natural and involving.

May 10, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #13 of 15
i have HP890, drop them all the time... no problems so far.. still going strong.. i got em cheap so i use it for gaming. use and abuse
icon10.gif

maybe the 1 or 2 rotten ones are just that, rotten.

May 10, 2004 at 10:49 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
There's a rule of thumb known by most Europeans:
If you want gear that lasts avoid Philips.

Yep. They certainly do make unreliable, if technologically advanced, crap.

May 10, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 15
They sell those in Turkey, maybe I can get you one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back