da924 only 96khz,why?
Dec 9, 2009 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
hi,

the lavry da924 is regarded as a very high end dac. it is only 24/96. by now other dac's are sampling at 384khz and up. is this just outdated or is their a good reason for this?

thanks,
music_man

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 9
there's a very good reason for this and it's def not outdated! it's one of the best DACs in the world. some say they hear a difference at 192khz (they obviously have a gift the majority of us don't have) but many think that's marketing especially Dan Lavry. 384Khz is just a number that has no justification behind it. Don't buy into that nonsense.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 9
As the owner of a DAC which insists on upsampling everything to 24/192, I absolutely agree with the Dan Lavry paper.

We need to start moving past the numbers - the snake oil salesmen will increasingly use any and all pseudo-science to baffle digiphiles into believing that their box is the new 'must have'. Reviewers, intent on finding enough copy to fill 6 pages where 2 would suffice, will pounce on this and spend several pages telling you why you really need the Acme 1000 if you are going to defeat arithmetic noise in the top end of the bitstream.

(I'm not a Luddite, but there are times when keeping the earth flat might just save us all a lot of money).

estreeter

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 9
well some ppl record in 192 so i would like the ability to play it than get it resampled down

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 9
they have cdp's that upsample into ghz already i think. i don't hear or see the point of this. like i said in other threads it is only if you believe. there is nothing wrong with that. it is proven some people can cure themselves of cancer with no medical intervention. simply by wishing constantly that they will get bettter! the power of belief is not to be denied. if you do not wish to believe in something or cannot, then none of this audiophile stuff is for you. it is up to your imagination and not anything the component does. again, let those folks be. i am sometimes one of them too. it does no harm, other than to ones wallet. of course if you think about that, the belief probably won't work for whatever reason.

music_man

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it does no harm, other than to ones wallet.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back