D777 BASS BOOST
Jan 16, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 18
Neither, really... I challenge you to try listening to your music without any sort of bass boost for an hour or so. Switch CD's every couple songs. Get some different genres. Tell me what you find.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
Neither, really... I challenge you to try listening to your music without any sort of bass boost for an hour or so. Switch CD's every couple songs. Get some different genres. Tell me what you find.

Agreed, none of the above.

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 18
when i used d515 and d321 indoor,I turn off all bass boost.The sound is very good!But outdoor listen,i will turn on the bass boost made the sound more "dynamic".....
I have d777 DBB version,but the bass boost effect is difference with MEGABASS version......

Jan 16, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 18
OK, for outdoor use, I can see turning on some bass boost, as the sound is sometimes lost. Depends on what you're doing, though. The only outside use my Discman sees is while in a car. (as a passenger, if anyone starts yelling) I just have to turn the volume up a bit. (again, before anyone yells, it never goes above 6) I usually leave bass boost off at all times, but again, this will depend on your source/cans. I don't have a D777, and have never heard one.

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 18
I have yet to use a D-777 outdoors, but for indoor use I turn bass boost off. I tried bass boost with a pair of Eggos D66, D77 and V6's and it just made the bass too muddy and boated for my listening tastes.

Jan 16, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 18
D777 DBB version?? Tell me more
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 18
Hmm... now to find one...

This is the first time i've ever heard of this

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 18
Interesting!!
smily_headphones1.gif
I presume "DBB" stands for "Double Bass Boost"? Or perhaps "Digital Bass Boost" (more likely). I might be wrong, since I'm just guessing, but could it be the same as MegaBass (MB having two settings that are displayed on my D777's remote: one bar Bass and two bar Bass)

Sony did stop labelling their bass boost as MegaBass sometime, didn't they? It was very prevalent during the mid '90s era of Sony cassette and CD portables I remember; many of my high school friends back then had MegaBass Sonys.

Which year was your D777 made, FAI? I've never seen one either.
biggrin.gif

Pat.

Jan 17, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #11 of 18
Ptrick...

DBB is from the era before mega-bass, is found on units like the 555, 515, 211, 311 and a few others...

It seems like this 'mutant' D777 is a bit of a throw back to days gone by...

Jan 17, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 18
Generally, (but not always) the older technologies sound better. At least in PDCP's, they seem too.

Jan 17, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 18
Every bass boost I've heard is pretty bad. It completely annihilates any and all balance and articulation in the bottom end, and even the best bass boost circuit somehow manages to boost the highs at an annoying 4-5khz point, making the sound total garbage.

Most bass boosts are also very sloppy and incoherent, bleeding the "boost" into the lower midrange up to 400hz or so. What you get is a term that I call "audio poop." It sounts like it is.

And it's likely to be even worse with DT770s, which already have a good deep bottom end that shouldn't need any equalization.

Cheers,
Geek

Jan 17, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 18
I believe the guitarist (I play bass, so you don't usually encounter this, unless you have a really dinky and crappy amp) term for "audio poop" is "bass fart". It usuall occurs when overdriving a small solid state amp, and you're playing on lower strings. Rather like the buzzing of a ricer.

But on to the orginal subject, I disagree. For some types of music, for instance, Linkin Park, moderate bass boost can be good. Or dance music. But that's really more of just putting a lot of thump out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back