D7000 (w/ LDIII) or D2000 with new Compass (or other SS amp)
Aug 12, 2009 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

enigman

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up a pair of closed cans to avoid sound leakage issues when the wife is trying to work.

My existing system is a Juli@ -> LDIII -> HD600
I've also got a pair of HD280s for work, but those aren't in the same league.

I'm looking for a closed can with equal (or perhaps better) sound quality to what I have now. Based on listening preferences and whatnot, the Denons seem like a nice match (wouldn't mind a bit more bass).

The D7000s look really nice, but I'm a bit concerned with how they will pair with the LDIII, so was thinking I might be better off stepping down to the D2000s and putting the cash towards a SS amp or amp/dac combo like the compass (the lisa sounds great, but picks up just a touch of interference from inside the computer if I turn the volume way up).

Any thoughts / advise? I have very broad listening tastes, with a sweet spot around downtempo electronica/jazz/latin, but ranging from classical to acoustic rock to techno.

Thanks!

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 4
I would suggest you try to sell your LDIII (or maybe even your HD600 if you wind up liking the Denons more) to fund a compass-->d7000. I think the higher end denons are noticeably better than the lower end ones and you'll wind up upgrading eventually anyway. However, the Denons do not play well with OTL tube amps (or high output impedance SS amps) so the amp should probably be your first priority.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 4
Is it even worth trying the D7000s with the LDIII, or am I just going to end up disappointed and questioning my purchase? I really like my current setup, but need a closed can. Are there any other decent closed cans which will pair better with the LDIII?

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 4
It might be worth a try - my ad2000s (40 ohm) work surprisingly well with my ld ml iii and are known for having great synergy with the zana deux even though it's otl. It's just a risky option and if you get a good ss amp it will power all of your hps. Make sure you buy from j&r (550 shipped) or used (around 500 shipped).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back