d7000 vs. HE-5
Jan 17, 2010 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Silenced

100+ Head-Fier
Which is better for someone who listens to a wide variety of music (Rock, Electronic, Folk, Experimental aka. what some people call 'indie' and less of but still some jazz and classical... my music spans most eras). Also looking for a highly comfortable Headphone. My amp would be an EF-5 if I were to get a HE-5 and probably the same for d7000 but possibly a CTH or a EHHA. By DAC would be a uDac. Help me out.

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 25
I would pick a up pair of the Denon's, I own a pair and they are very comfortable. They are great all rounders but they do shine with men's voice's. I cant speak about the EF-5. The sound stage is pretty big for a closed can also for classical.

Good pair of cans and if you can get them at better price you will be more then pleased.

Cole

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 25
HE-5 is much more open and airy sounding, but brighter. D7000 has great bass and good detail but is still a closed can in it's soundstage. If you don't need to isolate and you're okay with brighter sounding headphones, I would say get the HE-5.
And yes, I had both at the same time.

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HE-5 is much more open and airy sounding, but brighter. D7000 has great bass and good detail but is still a closed can in it's soundstage. If you don't need to isolate and you're okay with brighter sounding headphones, I would say get the HE-5.
And yes, I had both at the same time.

I've heard that the d7000 isolation is horrible... practically as bad as open. Is that true?

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 25
The isolation of the D2000/5000/7000 is not as you have heard. They will not isolate as well as some other closed cans and definitely not even close to IEM's but they will provide 9 dB's of isolation (measured w/ a dB meter).

As far as sound the Denon and the Head Direct are quite different, enough that you could justify having both. Cheers.

Jan 17, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 25
I would get the HE-5 because I love open cans. Plus it's getting some very, very good reviews and even better with the EF-5
biggrin.gif
If I were to get a denon, it would be the LA2000.

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The isolation of the D2000/5000/7000 is not as you have heard. They will not isolate as well as some other closed cans and definitely not even close to IEM's but they will provide 9 dB's of isolation (measured w/ a dB meter).

As far as sound the Denon and the Head Direct are quite different, enough that you could justify having both. Cheers.

so which genres would you say the HE-5 is suited for and which the denons are suited for?

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 25
I think they can both cross over into various genres but the D7000 are great with rock with it's bass (but pretty good with most anything). The HE-5 were also very good with electric guitar I believe due to the bright nature, so they are good with rock too. If you are into jazz, classical or acoustic, etc. the HE-5 would be best.
You should really listen to both if possible.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they can both cross over into various genres but the D7000 are great with rock with it's bass (but pretty good with most anything). The HE-5 were also very good with electric guitar I believe due to the bright nature, so they are good with rock too. If you are into jazz, classical or acoustic, etc. the HE-5 would be best.
You should really listen to both if possible.

Can't find anywhere to try out the HE-5. So the HE-5 is more for classical and jazz? If the Denon is better with modern music, then I'm sold.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 25
if you want deep and powerful bass, denon is the way to go. i haven't heard the he-5 myself, but from what i read mids are more prominent and full, but they don't have that deep bass. maybe an he-5 owner can correct me?

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdr529 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you want deep and powerful bass, denon is the way to go. i haven't heard the he-5 myself, but from what i read mids are more prominent and full, but they don't have that deep bass. maybe an he-5 owner can correct me?

That's correct. I think the main weakness of the HE-5 is their bass. It's very detailed/textured and fairly defined, but the extension isn't the greatest (rolloff below 35hz and almost nothing below 25hz). I also think the decay hangs around very slightly longer than the damped headphones I've tried, though their attack is excellent. All this leads to a bit less punch in the bass than I'm accustomed to (and what I've come to prefer).

Note that I'm criticizing them in terms of a $630 pair of headphones. They are still well above average in all those regards but one has to be stringent when assessing sound at this price range.

But remember, there's more to the sound than the bass! A lot has been written about the HE-5's good points, so I won't rehash them here.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdr529 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ugh... I like bass but it is not the be all or end all for me. I think most people have said that the HE-5 are not bass light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's correct. I think the main weakness of the HE-5 is their bass. It's very detailed/textured and fairly defined, but the extension isn't the greatest (rolloff below 35hz and almost nothing below 25hz). I also wouldn't say they have the tightest bass. I think the decay hangs around very slightly longer than the damped headphones I've tried, though their attack is excellent. They don't have the most punchy bass either.

Note that I'm criticizing them in terms of a $630 pair of headphones. They are still well above average in all those regards but one has to be stringent when assessing sound at this price range.

But remember, there's more to the sound than the bass! A lot has been written about the HE-5's good points, so I won't rehash them here.

I thought most would say that the Denon has the less controlled bass. Can I ask what type of music you are enjoying with your HE-5. Thanks for the help everybody.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ugh... I like bass but it is not the be all or end all for me. I think most people have said that the HE-5 are not bass light.
I thought most would say that the Denon has the less controlled bass. Can I ask what type of music you are enjoying with your HE-5. Thanks for the help everybody.

They're not bass-light, but they lack a bit of punch for me. YMMV. I listen to everything from orchestral/chamber, vocal-based pop, rock (classic, contemporary, electric, acoustic) and progressive house/electronic. I also listen to some hip-hop artists, so I really have almost every major genre covered.

Edit: I should mention I listen to somewhat low volumes. At higher volumes (80+ db) there is more punchy bass (more midbass). Also, my test with frequency sine waves (5 Hz intervals) shows that the bass is nearly ruler flat from 35Hz to around 200Hz. So I guess it's just my own preference for a bit boosted midbass (like on the HD650 and DT990) that gives punch/impact at lower volumes especially.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't find anywhere to try out the HE-5. So the HE-5 is more for classical and jazz? If the Denon is better with modern music, then I'm sold.

Not really- they are good all around.
Edit: I feel open cans give more air around and realism to acoustic instruments- at least from the cans I have heard.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're not bass-light, but they lack punch. I listen to everything from orchestral/chamber, vocal-based pop, rock (classic, contemporary, electric, acoustic) and progressive house/electronic. I also listen to some hip-hop artists, so I really have almost every major genre covered.

Edit: I should mention I listen to somewhat low volumes. At higher volumes (80+ db) there is more punchy bass (more midbass). Also, my test with frequency sine waves (5 Hz intervals) shows that the bass is nearly ruler flat from 35Hz to around 200Hz. So I guess it's just my own preference for a bit boosted midbass (like on the HD650 and DT990) that gives punch/impact at lower volumes especially.

I find the HE-5s have quite some bit of punch even at low volumes! Possibly due to rig differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back