D7000 AMP ISSUE: Can ASL MG HEAD OTL MKIII drive them well?
Jul 16, 2009 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

CapQ

500+ Head-Fier
I only have one amp which is ASL MG Head OTL MKIII to drive my pre-loved HD650 and K701. Now I have already sold them and ordered a pair of Denon D7000. Now I just wonder any tried these combination before and how they sound?

In my experience, MG Head OTL MKIII works terrific with high impedance cans like HD650 under OTL output. I tried my MS2i on it but I dont pleased with its performance on a low impedance cans. Now I just ordered another low impedance cans so I feel in a dilemma - sell it or keep it.

I will be appreciate if someone used to have D7000 and MG Head OTL and let me know how they works. Or you can give me some suggestion if you think I have to go for another amp.

Thanks in advance
Luther

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 17
I owned the ASL amp for quite a while, and it's a nice amp. I doubt the D7000 would be ideal with the ASL's OTL output, but the great thing about the ASL is that it has a transformer coupled mode. In that mode, it should handle the Denons very well I would think - it had no trouble with Grados in TC mode.

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the ASL amp for quite a while, and it's a nice amp. I doubt the D7000 would be ideal with the ASL's OTL output, but the great thing about the ASL is that it has a transformer coupled mode. In that mode, it should handle the Denons very well I would think - it had no trouble with Grados in TC mode.

Yes I use Transformer output for grado/other low impedance cans. But, I think it is only can be described as decent but not that great. I have been very impressed on HD650 under ASL OTL mode, but feel so so when using MS2i under transformer output.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 17
bump for D7000 users~~~

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using this amp just now with denons 5000 and they
sound very very well.

Woo good to hear that. Just curious whether you try other amps and how they be compared??

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 17
bump again><

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #8 of 17
Hi,

How did the 701s sound with your MG Head? Was it a good match?

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by triode12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

How did the 701s sound with your MG Head? Was it a good match?

I tried them on both of OTL and transformer output and I'd like to say I much like how they sound under transformer output. Yes I think they are matched well.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, yes i agree the 701's with transformer output sound very full with great soundstage, the 5000 i tried also with the EF-1, and they have great synergie, but with the MG they are fuller sound , soundstage bass everything goes UP¡¡

Wooo thanks Gonzalo. I was after EF-1 before cuz i heard that EF-1 can drive low impedance cans well. Now I can give it up lol.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 17
Well you have 2 remaining options (one possible, one that is mandatory IMO) to explore here...an impedance adapter to bring the Denon's load up into a range the OTL option is comfortable driving (say 200 ohm or so) and the second option being to roll in some fresh NOS tubes. The latter being the mandatory option (for a tube amp you need to have some other flavors to play with IMO).

Good luck...

Peete.

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well you have 2 remaining options (one possible, one that is mandatory IMO) to explore here...an impedance adapter to bring the Denon's load up into a range the OTL option is comfortable driving (say 200 ohm or so) and the second option being to roll in some fresh NOS tubes. The latter being the mandatory option (for a tube amp you need to have some other flavors to play with IMO).

Good luck...

Peete.

Now Im using the stock 6BQ5 pair and one Sylvania 5751WA. Maybe I should find some NOS tubes^^

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #15 of 17
Some nice 6BQ5's will sound WAY better than the stock Chinese tubes (which I thought were pretty awful).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back