D66 Eggo burn in time
Aug 28, 2004 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

refault

100+ Head-Fier
How long do these cans take to burn in? I've had them since April and have used them for less than 20 hours and they still sound too harsh and "choppy". Their bass seems to be alright though the highs and mid range sound really harsh and choppy with a lot of detail. Does this choppyness ever smooth out or am I destined to harsh, choppy sound with detail and bass?

Aug 28, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 6
Your right on the D66, i have the D22, the D66 and the D77 and the 66s do have a bit of harshness. The 22s are a little more smooth in the high end. The 77s are perfect for me.

When i got the 66s i thought they were a new version of the 77 but i guess there is a series of the eggos and i just got a model under the ones i wanted (another set of 77s)

Aug 29, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 6
Well I just did some nice burn in at insane volume levels for 30 hours and did the tissue-in-the-eggo-cup mod. They do sound better but the highs still sound sharp. The tissue mod and the burn in (more likely the mod) got rid of that horrible ugly boxy sound and added some more midrange bass (not a lot but adequet enough.) So far I'm pretty happy with them for portable cans and they can probably fend off unamped out of my Karma until I get HD-251's and an SR-71.

eggosmile.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 6
How did you do the mod? did you just put the tissue in the cans or did you take em apart and put them over the driver? Over the driver you cant see the tissue. Just curious how you did it.

Aug 30, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
How did you do the mod? did you just put the tissue in the cans or did you take em apart and put them over the driver? Over the driver you cant see the tissue. Just curious how you did it.

I opened up the cans and stuffed one tissue crumpled up and filled the "egg" cup and then reattached and screwed the cups back onto the housing (for each side.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back