D66 Egg0 UM1 challenge
Dec 20, 2005 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TR909

Head-Fier
I'm in the market for new portable closed/semi-closed headphones to help me battle my morning commute here in nyc. I currently own a half-dead e2c which had it's definite drawbacks but served me well as far as isolation is concerned. I eventually got fed up with the congested sound and right channel cutting out and got a quick-fix with the KSC 75's which I really enjoy. Colored sure, but the good kind of colored for portable use as critical listening on the go for me is impossible. too many distractions visually and the splashy highs and somewhat overblown bass actually help.

I have 650's for all my critical listening at home and love them with all my music. The ksc75's amped offer me a little grado flavor to change things up once in awhile. This brings me to my decision now. The sony d66's seem to be generally well thought of and would be very functional earmuffs in the cold weather. They are also aesthetically pleasing. The UM1's I'd imagine would be a similar experience to my e2c's but much clearer and more coherent sounding. I love the isolation of iems but sometimes it can be a hindrance. At this point I'm using my ksc75's for the commute and I have two problems with them. I have to turn the volume up considerably to block outside noise and doing so let's EVERYONE hear what I'm listening to. Not fun to have groggy new yorkers giving you dirty looks on your morning commute. Secondly, they just look god awful. I'm not one of those people that needs to look stylish and hip all the time but good god man, these things look ridiculously cheap and the build quality is poor as you'd expect from $20 headphones. The clip on one side of my head has a longer bend to it then the left and as such sticks out further. No amount of adjusting will fix this as the wire is simply longer before the bend on the left side. ksc35's would seem like another option but the isolation problem is also there.

To mercifully end this novel, which would you recommend?

Um1 -- isolation, isolation, isolation, e2c taken to the next level $109
D66 -- semi-closed, less isolation, looks, acceptable audio quality, ear mufftastic

is the sound quality difference in a portable setting between these two models that vast?

Thanks

Dec 21, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 7
I suspect you'd be pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of the D66s. However, they don't just have less isolation than IEMs, they have basically none. They're good at not letting sound ESCAPE - so even with the volume bumped up, others won't be able to hear your music - but from the _listener's_ point of view, they're basically open. This means that you'll basically lose all the bass on a bus or next to a busy street, and you'll likely have to bump the volume up to levels that are dangerous to your ears in some situations. I really like my Eggos, but I just find I'm using the Etys far more since I got them - not because the quality is massively better, but because of the isolation.

Dec 21, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 7
Well I have both, d66 & Um1's, use them both out of the iPod, I couldn't recommend one over the other, the d66s are sonically a little bright, bass is fine unless your'e a basshead after burnin, but I have to admit I prefer the presentation of the UM1's, warmer musical balanced sound, get into the music more - the Eggo's sound a bit tinny after listening to the UM1's. and the isolation on busy streets makes walking to work something to look forward to.
I guess if you listen to classical/jazz/vocals a lot the eggos may be better - but yeah they're both good - I could listen to the UM1's all day wothout fatigue, with the Eggos 30mins is enough. I've had MS1's and I could listen to them longer.. As to your question on which has superior audio performance depends on what you like cold bright analytical=d66 , warm involving musical=UM1 i've amped them both and they both improve. I'd go for the UM1's put it this way I've just a/b ed them and the UM1's are staying in the ears..

Dec 21, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks murrmax, that was exactly the type of response I was looking for. I have to admit I do like the styling of the D66's very much, but in the end it looks like I'd be making a sacrifice in the name of fashion alone. Maybe I'll pick them up one day just to have in my collection and as a pair to audition music for my friends as swapping iems is definitely not an option. I just ordered the um1's and hope to be enjoying them before christmas. Anyone with experience with the um56 custom tips? I hope they'll be a worthwhile upgrade down the road as I can't see myself ever owning the UE10s....maybe the UE5c's though.....
etysmile.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 7
I have both as well and I'd say the UM1s hands down. The sound quality is better and, since the isolation is so much better (like the last chap said, very little isolation with the D66) I can enjoy the music on a much lower level. Portability and comfort are both in favor of the UM1s, as well. I really enjoy the D66s, but they do get uncomfortable in long listening sessions.

Also, the D66s have an awkward cord system, which I absolutely hate. The cans themselves have an extremely short cord - long enough to maybe reach down to a chest pocket. Assuming you don't turn your head side to side or look up. Then, they have an extension cord which is absurdly long for regular use. I have no idea why Sony does this with their headphones, as I found it on the 71s, as well. Ugh.

Jan 22, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transient
Also, the D66s have an awkward cord system, which I absolutely hate. The cans themselves have an extremely short cord - long enough to maybe reach down to a chest pocket. Assuming you don't turn your head side to side or look up. Then, they have an extension cord which is absurdly long for regular use. I have no idea why Sony does this with their headphones, as I found it on the 71s, as well. Ugh.

The short cord was designed for use with players using inline remotes. For that purpose its perfect, but like you said, is a bit of a nuisance when plugging them directly into your player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back