D5000 vs RS-1?
Apr 8, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #16 of 43
My vote goes to Denon AH-D5000. I've sold recently the RS1. You already know the Grado sound signature since you have the SR80.... I'd go with the 5000, just ask to your dad...why.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #17 of 43
Denon no question. The RS-1 is like a improved and refined SR80, but the D5000 brings something to the table few headphones have attained, it sounds very neutral whereas the RS-1 still have the signature Grado coloration in the highs, and the overall Grado house curve. The D5000 sounds more like decent speakers properly placed in a room than any other headphone I've heard.

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #18 of 43
IMHO they are different cans to meet different demands.

The Grados are (again my opinion) cans made to make specific types of music fun. They're not specially comfy (to my ears/skull quite uncomfy) and to me, not suitable for every kind of music I happen to enjoy listening.

The Denons are cans aimed to provide some neutrallity and resolution, hence they can sound good with any kind of music, are more comfy in spite of being closed. The stock ones are OK but with some flaws in the bass response and a constrained soundstage. Modded they get quite righter tonally by correcting the low-bass resonances and enhancement, and the stage is wider and deeper than on the stock ones.

It's up to you choosing which sound signature would suit you best.

Rgrds

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #19 of 43
I don't know... I must have a "tin ear," compared to all you "audiophiles." To me... its almost "too close to call."

Admittedly... I just got my new D5000s, and they still need burn in... but... the differences between these and my RS-1s, AD2000s and HD580s seem like somewhat "minute" gradations from one to the other. They all seem to have a very similar sound signature - somewhat warm and rich, great bass, prominent mids, clear, detailed, bright highs.

Sure the RS-1s may a bit more intimate, the AD2000s a bit more airy, the HD580s a bit more prominent mids... but... these are very small differences, of the "splitting hairs" magnitude.

Yeah... the D5000s, may have very slightly less prominent mids compared to their bass and highs, when compared to these other great phones... but... very slightly. And they may have some very slight resonances in the upper mids that need to be tamed, due to their closed nature - I suspect these will either be resolved by burn in, or some of "Markl's mods."

I really would have a difficult time choosing which one is the best... though right now it would likely be:

1. AD2000s = 9.8
2. RS-1s = 9.6
3. HD580s = 9.4
5. D5000s = 9.2

I guess the decision would depend on whether I needed a closed set of phones, or not.

They're all... quite simply... superb!

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #21 of 43
When you get whichever headphoens you get, don't forget to borrow the W5000 off your dad to write a comparison review here ...

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I really would have a difficult time choosing which one is the best... though right now it would likely be:

1. AD2000s = 9.8
2. RS-1s = 9.6
3. HD580s = 9.4
5. D5000s = 9.2

I guess the decision would depend on whether I needed a closed set of phones, or not.

They're all... quite simply... superb!

We think alike.

I don't have D5000 but I have APS V3 cabled D2000 which sound very similar but with better bass, and I also put the RS-1 above the D5000 that I tried as well as above my D2000.

I don't have HD580 but I have HD600, and I would also put them between the Grado and Denon, like you did the HD580.

I also don't rank the RS-1 as #1, but since I don't have AD2000 my #1 is my Edition 9 with a close race by the STAX SR-Lambda Signature.

So, I voted RS-1

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #23 of 43
The more I listen to the D5000s (not yet burnt in) and compare them to my AD2000s, RS-1s, and HD580s... the more I think the D5000s sound a lot like the HD650s with greater clarity and detail in the highs - kinda like a "de-veiled" HD650.

The HD650s actually have more viceral bass, which you can actually feel impacting your head, and moving the phones a bit - not quite the same for the D5000s, though it is close to the same impact, and may extend a bit deeper.

The AD2000s, RS-1s and HD580s have brighter, more aggressive highs, and are a bit brighter in general, than the D5000s, which have a bit more subdued highs, with very refined, detailed, though subtle, resolved highs. Though the upper mids can be a bit aggressive, the D5000s are by no means strident, or harsh in any manner - no listener fatigue at all in the highs. So... if you don't like the aggressive highs of these other phones, you may like the D5000s more refined, subtle presentation, but which is not as dark as the HD650s.

I don't know what additional burn in will do to refine the D5000s... but... I guess, I really don't expect a great change in their overall tone and balance.

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #24 of 43
For me the problem with the re-cabled D2000 (and to some degree the HD600/650) is they just don't get me excited like the RS-1/Edition 9, being a little more mellow than I'd like. The tone and timbre with HD600 and D2000 is natural and smooth, but the PRaT isn't there like my higher ranked phones. This is will ALL FOUR headphones having the APS cable - the RS-1 and Edition 9 can make the D2000 sound veiled.

If I'd never heard/owned RS-1/Edition 9, the D2000 would be ranked higher.

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #25 of 43
Yea the hd650 and denons have a lot in common. They sound reasonably similar with the denons having a bit more treble energy. However, the 650's make up for it by being a bit more open.

The RS1's have more treble energy and much tighter bass response and is very PRATy. The RS-1's are just not as good as being an all rounder as the D5000 or HD650.

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #26 of 43
Good thing I didn't get one yet, I got back from my games too late saturday and the store was closed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you get whichever headphoens you get, don't forget to borrow the W5000 off your dad to write a comparison review here ...

Yeah I can do that, but I probably couldn't tell the difference between the two, or wouldn't be able to describe it.

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #27 of 43
The D5000s do have a bit greater refinement and resolution, which provides greater clarity around each note - this seems a somewhat subtle advantage.

But... their slightly darker sound (less treble emphasis), seems to make them seem a wee bit less detailed than the AD2000s, RS-1s and HD600/580s. Actually, the treble emphasis of these other phones gives them the illusion of seeming as detailed, or moreso, than the D5000s - but, they actually aren't.

The AD2000s, RS-1s, and HD600/580s will likely appeal more to those who like their slightly more "liquid," and brighter sound - which gives them the overall illusion of great tone weight, detail and clarity.

But... as I said before... all of this is really "splitting hairs" - all of these discussions make it seem like there are huge differences between them - there just aren't. All of these phones are really great with the right set ups... and... the differences between them just aren't so great... as to justify "throwing one out for another." They all sound so similar... that you'll be quite pleased with any of them. At least that's the way it seems to my "tin ear."

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #28 of 43
Get the D5000 and you will regret the RS1
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tin ear indeed
eek.gif
HD650 and RS-1 sounding similar?
rolleyes.gif

-Kyle

Well... I should say... after you deveil the HD650s, add the right cable, and set up.... they sound similar, in that neither present very bright treble as the AD2000s, RS-1s and HD600/580s do... and both present strong bass and rich mids. The D5000s do seem to present more refinement, except in the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back