D5000 UPGRADE
Jun 6, 2007 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Aaron Friedman

100+ Head-Fier
I finished upgrading the Denon D5000.

To obtain full resolution left click once the picture at the link site:
http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/2606369.jpg

Note that I view the Denon D50000 as forward relatively 2 dimensional with bass and lower mid-bass heaviness. To offset these characteristics I experimented with different wire configurations and 5 different Solder terminations.

To obtain full resolution left click once the picture at the link site:
http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/2609295.jpg

To try to offset unwanted characteristics of headphones is hard enough. I tried numerous wire configurations which resulted in other characteristic faults. Hence, in order not to make this quest even more difficult I decided to go back and use the simplest wire configuration; simply raw twisted wire. Understand that the most neutral sound you can get is by using raw twisted wire. This way there is no Techflex, rubber heat shrink or any type of other material affecting the dielectric and thereby the signals frequency response running through the wire. Without all other interference this will provide the most neutral signal. The twisted wire used is UN-shielded braded 4x23.5 Cardas high purity soft annealed Teflon coated Litz wire.

Now that I neutralized the wire factor I proceeded by experimenting with different solders. Solders can have as much or more affect than the wire itself. After experimenting over the past 2 weeks by far what worked the best is re-soldering the driver hairline wire connection to the driver, the Cardas cable to driver and connector all with Siltech Solder. It has 5% silver and is generally a bit bright, with a relatively cool midrange and lower midrange and a light but very tight bass. I tried other solders (Cardas , IA-423, WBT….) but they simply did not offset enough the D5000 heavy bass mid-bass and its 2 dimensionality characteristics. Siltech brought these headphones much closer to neutral and transformed them significantly to be more musical. It made these headphones have dimensionality where it relatively had little before. Now the soundstage can compete against the likes of the K701. Vocals and instruments now have natural sounding timbers. Also this combination allows Instruments to come out of a near black background. This helps with distinction and the separation of instruments and vocals.

Do not get me wrong there is still plenty of bass and lower mid-bass. It just does not dominate to the extent it did before the upgrade.

Jun 6, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 37
Nice!

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you tried Open Denons yet?

I did try open Denons. I found it impossible to listen to. The frequency response is severely altered or should I say distorted. It seems as though this driver loses its ability to properly function with the reduced air pressure.

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 37
So, does your mod fix the recessed lower midrange? That was ultimately that made me sell it. I could not stand it. Also I had noticed on complex passages or passages with a lot of voices and instruments, the sound had tendency to become very "compressed", almost like it was trying to produce to much sound than it could handle. The AD2000 cured both of these flaws immediately for me, but I did quite like the bass of the D5000 so I would be very curious to see how it sounds.

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 37
Thanks for posting your findings Aaron, I really do appreciate it!

Will you be keeping the AH-D-5000s now?

Best regards~

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...wow this is a whole new level of head-fi

bravo

That or Patrick82 finally found his match.
blink.gif
j/k

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 37
Pretty cables. Very Christmassy.
tongue.gif

And I commend your "Power of Youth" in your attempt to rectify the deficiencies of your headphones.

Sorry, too much Naruto recently.
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, does your mod fix the recessed lower midrange? That was ultimately that made me sell it. I could not stand it. Also I had noticed on complex passages or passages with a lot of voices and instruments, the sound had tendency to become very "compressed", almost like it was trying to produce to much sound than it could handle. The AD2000 cured both of these flaws immediately for me, but I did quite like the bass of the D5000 so I would be very curious to see how it sounds.

I cannot argue with you at all. It was bass and lower midbass heavy. As a result it was almost too polite in those areas; a sign that it was not producing enough details at that frequency range. The bass was good but way too forward. As I said in a different forum in real music the bass player does not sit on your lap while the rest of the band performs on stage.

The bottom line is that I can bring it a distance closer to neutral but not all the way. It seems that unless closed headphones are made like the R10 you may as well go for the lower priced open headphone alternative.

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty cables. Very Christmassy.
tongue.gif

And I commend your "Power of Youth" in your attempt to rectify the deficiencies of your headphones.

Sorry, too much Naruto recently.
tongue.gif

Yes you sometimes have to bring in the holiday spirit in order to improve on sound.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Friedman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I simply took the Cardas headphone cable and took it all apart until I was left with just the 4x24 awg braided Teflon coated base wire.

Oh. I'd be interested in a comparison between the Cardas and fine gauge silver wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back