D5000 Amp Choice
Nov 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

pr0ggy

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm aware there are certainly a number of D5000 amp threads but many are >2 years old so I figured I'd toss another line out and see if anyone bites with some potetially updated info...

I listen to a lot of prog-metal (Substructure, Veil of Maya, etc) and electronic (Electrocado, Atra Aeterna, etc) so I'm looking for an amp that plays to the Denon's strengths (bass), but I'm certainly also looking for a clean sound that isn't COMPLETELY saturated with low end...just want a strong, solid punch.  Price ceiling is 1Kish.  So far I've taken a look at the following:
  1. Schiit Asgard
  2. HiFiMan EF5
  3. Burson HA-160
  4. Benchmark DAC1 USB
  5. Emmeline HR-2

I've been running the 5000s through a Sumiko Pro-Ject DAC and a Yamaha AX-497 receiver for a while now but decided the 497 is taking up a bit too much space to just run as a headphone amp.  I've been fairly content with the combo but am certain an amp designed to drive headphones (rather than speakers as in the case of the 497) can take the sound up a notch.  I believe from my own experience and from other reviews that the Pro-Ject is an excellent DAC--nigh unbeatable in its price range--but I would be open to a combo such as the DAC1 USB with a small amount of convincing that the improvement would be noticeable
wink.gif

What do you think, Head-Fi?

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 24
I am very happy with my D-5000 on Audio-gd C-2C (which is discontinued). Bass is heavy deep and tight and midrange is airy + not harsh highs. Female voices sound amazing in particular.
Bass heavy music is really something of course. Nothing to complain about really. It improved a lot as my source got better (better dac and transport etc).
I tell myself I need a new amp to match the "level" of my DAC but whenever I listen to it I cant find any reason to do it.

Maybe an Audio-gd Phoenix or Master-5 if you have the cash

Or C-2.2 + a Dac.

They have other dac+amp combos like the NFB-10 WM which will probably cost around 1k with shipping etc.

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 24
Thanks for the insight ape!  I probably should have mentioned in the op that I'd love to buy USA-made if possible (was leaning strongly toward the Asgard).  However, I've been reading heaps about the Lyr and its sheer power for pristine dynamics.  I know tubes+Denons is considered something of a head-fi faux pas but from what I've been reading about tube rolling and the difference it can make, I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't be able to find a set that compliments the 5000s well.  But I certainly could be wrong...

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 24
I never liked my Denons with my Darkvoice tube amp at all no matter the tubes. It just gets too muddy and uncontrolled. Too much sound for a closed headphone it seems.

I think neutral but powerful amps to keep the bass under control works better with the D-5000. Burson might be a good choice of those on your list but I havent heard it myself.

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 24
In all fairness, the Lyr is a hybrid so the sound certainly wouldn't be pure tube but I definitely hear what you're saying and it's been repeated by the masses so I'm certainly inclined to believe it.  I've been researching basically all day and though I'd love all that power, I think I'm going to stick with the original SS route.  That said, Burson has certainly received raves when paired with the 5000s but I'm not sure the ~$400 premium over the Asgard is justified.  Also having a hard time finding anything regarding warranties with the Burson where the Asgard is guaranteed for 5 years...

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 24
The AH-D 7000s where a little muddy with the Woo Audio 5LE until I changed out powercords and interconnects. The trick with tubes is to get the sound to have pace and timing and if you have enough power you get damping and bass. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 24
Hey moose, thanks for joining in.  That was my thinking too...more power = more driver control.  I emailed Schiit today; Jason replied and said they actually have some 5000s in house and they most definitely prefer them with the Asgard, claiming the Lyr was just too much.  Even though it (the Lyr) has a clear power advantage, the Asgard seems to reign in the boom and brings out more of a punch (tis what I've heard anyway...)  Seems to be a 'control by design' vs. 'control by raw power' with the SS coming out ahead in this case.  I may just end up springing for the Asgard this weekend.  15-day money back guarantee so I don't have that much to lose and if I keep holding off for the sake of research I'll still be ampless this time next year
frown.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
The AH-D 7000s where a little muddy with the Woo Audio 5LE until I changed out powercords and interconnects. The trick with tubes is to get the sound to have pace and timing and if you have enough power you get damping and bass. 

Really, I get my D7000 on WA6se, the same... not so excellent. Now I don't know how to improve this

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 24
Hmm first fully positive review I've heard of a tube amp with the 5000s.  Reviews seem to point to a little more liveliness in the upper end as opposed to the mid-low as with most tube amps (without really sacrificing lows, just less of an emphasis).  Possibly slightly lean on the mids but I don't see that being an issue.  Quite interesting...stock tubes?

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
Hmm first fully positive review I've heard of a tube amp with the 5000s.  Reviews seem to point to a little more liveliness in the upper end as opposed to the mid-low as with most tube amps (without really sacrificing lows, just less of an emphasis).  Possibly slightly lean on the mids but I don't see that being an issue.  Quite interesting...stock tubes?

I used updated 6v6's, tung sol.   At the same time I also had a VERY good solid state amp, a custom (big power supply) Blue Circle SBH.  I was shocked at how much better the Sound Quest was.   It's a 15wpc amp, puts out a lot of power and has zero problem running the Denons. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #13 of 24
Definitely good to know.  Also found a few reviews stating the Woo Audio 6 matches quite well with the Denons (even moreso with a little tube rolling)...anyone able to vouch for this?  Magiester you say you weren't impressed with the 6se...any specific complaints?

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 24
I use a Bellari HA540 with my D5000's. I love how it warms up the midrange. I have a few higher end amps, but I just love the synergy these have together.  i replaced the tube that comes stock with a Mullard.

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 24
Hey fearless...believe it or not, I actually had my eye on the 540 before reading a lot about bad tube/Denon synergy.  What kind of music do you listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back