D2k VS PRO 550 VS KH-K1000
Apr 18, 2009 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KONAKONA

Banned
Well my old thread is starting to die so I thought I would start a new one. I'm looking for a good higher-end closed headphone. Something in the 200-400 range but I might go higher (Wallet: NOOOOOOOO) if it's worth it.

Current contenders are the Denon D2000, Ultrasone PRO 550, and Kenwood KH-K1000. As for what I am looking for....

Bass: Good bits of sub-bass impact and 'thump'. The Q40s I have right now can get enough with a amp, unfortunately the amp I have throws too much mud on it, so I don't get that good level of bass all the time.

Mids: uhh... Not too sure what to look for here. The mids of my Q40s and portapros sound good. The mids of yuin PK2s are delicious.... I guess more of that then.

Highs: Mostly the same as mids, but the main thing I want less of is sibilance. The Q40s can put out a good bit of the stuff from time to time while my portapros and PK2s do not.

Isolation: Well, my portapros and Q40s and PK2s don't isolate very well, and I don't expect the KSC 75s in the mail to do much better. I know I wont get the kind of isolation I had with say, my modded sparkplugs, but I know I can get better than my Q40s.

Rest: Comfort is nice, but as long as there are not any glaring problems I will probably be fine with it. As far as looks go, I'm not to fond of the headband on the K1000, but it might be OK if they sound good enough. I really like the 'normal' headbands better though. Also, I like round cups. A lot. Check the siggy.

Whatever I get will be hooked up to a much better portable amp (Not sure what at this point) and will be ran from either my DAP (cowon U5) or my shoddy computer out. Some (most) of my music files are of lower quality, so if the cans like to point this out it might be a problem. Same for the bad hardware on the way to the cans (sans the amp) for pointing stuff out. I also like to sleep with my full size cans on, so a good dab of durability is nice (The Q40s are adequate in this respect, for reference)

That's about it. Feel free to suggest other cans if they fit well enough.

-----A few off topic bits-----

From what I've seen, most higher end closed headphones have a metal grill over the driver with holes throughout the entire bit. The Q40s do not have holes over the bit that covers where the cone would be. Possible mod here?

Also, I heard that the only difference between the D2000 and D5000 is the cable and cups. Would this mean you could get a D2000, and then later on upgrade the cord and cups to essentially have a D5000?

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I heard that the only difference between the D2000 and D5000 is the cable and cups. Would this mean you could get a D2000, and then later on upgrade the cord and cups to essentially have a D5000?

Search "Markl Mod" on the forums here, and yes it would essentially be a D5000. I'm thinking Ultrasone isn't quite what you're looking for if you want more pronounced mids, but it definitely delivers the bass you want. Pretty sure Denon is supposed to have forward mids, can't comment on the others. Also, just so you know, the Ultrasone Pro 900 would still fit in your $400 budget
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Never had any problems with sibilance on the 900s, I think this is a fairly rare occurrence most likely due to source/amp. Now, the 750s on the other hand, I have heard of being 'metallic' or sibilant in the highs. If you got them and did find them to be sibilant it certainly wouldn't be hard to sell them for a fair amount of what you paid.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 10
looking at your setup, id advise against the D2000, for the reason you dont want siblance. I think in your setup the highs will get a bit grating for you (well I think so,,,,but others disagree).

I dont know much about the other two in this regard.

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 10
KH-K1000. You won't regret.

These phones are perhaps the most ignored ones, but they are truly top-notch headphones that can compete with top open headphones.

Not to mention KH-K1000 are the MOST comfortable headphones I've ever usd.

Also not to mention they fit for your requirement as well.

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 10
Well I finally got something. The only real problem I would have with the KH-K1000s is that headband, but I'm guessing (Hoping) it can be swapped for another one. Since this thread is bound to go much of nowhere after my post, the KH-K1000 is at the top of my list for now. If anyone can confirm a easy headband swap/mod then it'll be stuck there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back