D25 obsession... What gives?
Aug 26, 2002 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Magicthyse

Better to look good than to sound good!
Someone was going on about the D25 on another board, and I just thought:

Bearing in mind that these aren't exactly portable units, I'm presuming most of you D25 and other 'legendary' PCDP owners use'em at home in a fixed location. In which case, why not just buy an older CD deck with a decent headphone socket?

Advantages: Remote, lotsa buttons, and dare I say it, better transport, better DAC...?

Aug 26, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 6
I can walk around with my d555 and I can put it on my bed or on my desk or a couch. CD players are too bulky, I have no where to put one...

You don't really do much thinking do you.
tongue.gif

Biggie.

Aug 26, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 6
Well, although it's not portable, it's "lugable." You can take it around with you. Listen wherever you want(as long as there's a socket). It also drives HD580s quite well without an amp. . . .

Aug 26, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 6
well my d777 discman is a bit more portable then some older units, but it's a fun player for home use too. into a cha47 in a caselogic wallet i can move from the computer desk to the living room, out on the porch, etc. without interrupting the music.

Aug 26, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 6
Well with all the talk I'm pretty much convinced that I'm gonna hold off on a CD/mp3 player until at least the next generation and give the 25S a shot.

I'll be using it as a "luggable" as well. I want something for work and that I can have in different places around the house. The SlimX was tempting but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend almost $300 CDN on something that I can't hear before I buy and there are so many conflicting reports on. I want the best sound quality possible at the best price and from everything I've read the D-25S at about $100 CDN delivered is starting to sound like a real bargain. That leaves me with $200 CDN to put into something else.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I guess really for me then it's sound quality at such a good price is hard to pass up. I just hope all I've read is true.
wink.gif

Phil

Aug 26, 2002 at 9:51 AM Post #6 of 6
The advantage of older players is simply that they sound better than the newer ones... The D25S units were at a great price for the kind of player they are.. but, as Redshifter quite rightly said, the likes of the D777 with 10 seconds antishock, and the E905 with 20 are perfectly portable and have a semi-respectable battery life (about 20 hours with both the gumstick, and AA batteries in place)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back