D2000 vs HD600 which is better?
Jan 16, 2010 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Denon2010

Formerly known as Denon5220
Ok folks so I have been pondering recently.

Would I have gotten a better sound out of a HD600 senn.

Or is the D2000 as pure as I am really gonna get?

Would it matter?

Either way only reason I bought the D2000 was cause I got it for $200 on Amazon for Christmas it had some kinda awesome sale.

Honestly speaking it does sound better than my HD555 but not by any massive scale.

I am thinking if I ever have to buy another set of cans it would be the HD 600 I am wondering if it would be worth it.

Offcourse I won't be buying a HD600 until maybe next 6 years.

There is just something about the sound signature of sennheiser. I don't think anyother brand has.

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjaminGraham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you serious with the comparison to the 555s? I have the 555s and I pretend I don't own them. They are frigid.

well when you have your collection of headphones, my 1 year old would probably use 555s.
i think the 555s are very serviceable. i owned them for about 2 weeks and upgraded... not cuz they were bad but because i just like new things.
frown.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sound card or other equipment are you plugging your headphones into?

Well right now an Asus Xonar DX no AMP

For some reason the D2000 are softer and harder to drive than my 50 ohm senn HD555

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well when you have your collection of headphones, my 1 year old would probably use 555s.
i think the 555s are very serviceable. i owned them for about 2 weeks and upgraded... not cuz they were bad but because i just like new things.
frown.gif

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me at all.

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denon2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok folks so I have been pondering recently.

Would I have gotten a better sound out of a HD600 senn.

Or is the D2000 as pure as I am really gonna get?

Would it matter?

Either way only reason I bought the D2000 was cause I got it for $200 on Amazon for Christmas it had some kinda awesome sale.

Honestly speaking it does sound better than my HD555 but not by any massive scale.

I am thinking if I ever have to buy another set of cans it would be the HD 600 I am wondering if it would be worth it.

Offcourse I won't be buying a HD600 until maybe next 6 years.

There is just something about the sound signature of sennheiser. I don't think anyother brand has.

Funny, I was just comparing the Denon D2000 and 555 before reading your post. I find the D2000 a bit bright, even though it's more refined than the 555. However I also included in the comparison another 555 with the "sound reflector" mod (bringing it up to 595 standard) and I considered that superior (at least flatter and more neutral) to the Denon. Before selling the 555, consider the mod. It's just a matter of unscrewing 3 screws and removing a bit of foam rubber stuff stuck to the inside of the grill behind the driver. Makes a big difference. Do a search for details.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 13
I've compared both the 555s and D2000s and there's no comparison. The D2000s blow them away.

Quote:

Well right now an Asus Xonar DX no AMP

For some reason the D2000 are softer and harder to drive than my 50 ohm senn HD555

Get yourself a proper amp, then come back here and post the results. You won't ever turn back to the 555s which barely benefit from an amp. The reason why it's easier to drive the 555s is due to differences in efficiency and sensitivity.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

The D2000 is going to be softer and more "spaced" in the midrange. That's the nature of the D2000 and its recessed midrange. If you're comparing loudness based on the feel and presence of the midrange (especially the range of the midrange where the D2000 is most recessed at) then other headphones are going to sound louder even though a sound pressure meter will say they're the same.

Comparing the D2000 and HD600. I listen to my HD600 when I want a tone and presentation that is more natural. I listen to my D2000 when I want something that is more exciting and don't mind losing some tonal accuracy in the midrange. I also use my D2000 for pipe organ and they tromp all over my HD600 for that. The HD600 are for tone and smoothness, they don't excel at punch, impact, fast transients, snap, energy, speed and things like that. They aren't a "rocker" like a Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back