D2000 vs DT250-250 Questions
Aug 13, 2007 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DDF

100+ Head-Fier
Time to upgrade again, so the forums were searched and its down to these two. I just have a few critical questions I was hoping for help with.

They'll be used in bed, laying down, next to my wife. So:
- how is the leakage from the D2000s? Currently I use DT770s, and the leakage is acceptable. Isolation isn't a concern, she usually doesn't snore till after I turn the music off!

- I hear the D2000s fit a bit loose, but are they still tight enough for laying down with?

- I read that the D2000s are champs with metal. They'll be used for that, but more for classical and jazz (in bed). Are they weak at these genres? I read veiled implications they might be, but maybe only in comparison with their ability with rock.

- on the outside chance anyone has heard both, how do they compare?

- Finally, did Beyer ever fix the DT250 left-right balance issue, where one side had an iregular frequency response? I heard a fix was being worked, but I haven't heard news that its now in product.

Thanks guys!

Dave

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 11
It might not be the best help to you. But I have heard both the D2000 and DT-250-80ohm (NOT 250ohm).

I can say that the clamping on the beyer is much better (not too tight but decent enough for hold). The Denon clamping is a bit floppy, I think you coul lie down with it though.

As for the sound, the Denon is far more balanced across the spectrum.

I feel the build of the DT250 is better though, it really feels super solid, the Denon has Cups that move on a single hinge, which doesnt fill you with confidence.

If the 250ohm beyer is far different then ignore all my comments
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 11
I haven't tried the D2000 but I own the DT-250-250. I just used them 7+ hours continuously on a flight from Mexico City to Amsterdam, and they fit perfectly even when turning around your head on the seat. I've also used them while in bed a bit and they hold quite nicely.

I bought them new just a few weeks ago precisely to travel with them, and have not noticed any channel imbalance on them. They are really nice for closed cans, and my neighbors on the plain didn't complain about any leakage =P. regarding isolation I compared them to Sennheiser PXC 250 with noise guard, and both had almost the same performance (but the Senns were unamped and for the Beyers I used a Corda Move, I didn't try them without the move though)

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might not be the best help to you. But I have heard both the D2000 and DT-250-80ohm (NOT 250ohm).

I can say that the clamping on the beyer is much better (not too tight but decent enough for hold). The Denon clamping is a bit floppy, I think you coul lie down with it though.

I actually find my DT250-80s to clamp too much after a while. I've even tried bending them out a bit. I'm assuming for office use the Denons would stay on just fine? Good to hear about the sound. I sometimes feel that the DT250 is just a bit off somehow - unbalanced is the word that comes to my mind sometimes. I'm looking for a closed can upgrade that's good for (mainly) metal and is comfortable, and the D2000 looks to be it.

How do the earcups compare between the two? I like the way the DT250s fit, other than the squeeze, though sometimes I wish I could adjust the angle of the cups (relative to the headband) a bit. My K501s have large, round cups that don't seem to want to stay centered and seem a bit loose, but I don't notice them as much. Something in between would be good.

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

I feel the build of the DT250 is better though, it really feels super solid, the Denon has Cups that move on a single hinge, which doesnt fill you with confidence.

If the 250ohm beyer is far different then ignore all my comments
tongue.gif

Thanks so far guys.

How is leakage on the D2000? How is it with classical and Jazz? These would be deal breakers if they weren't up to snuff.

Thanks,
Dave

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually find my DT250-80s to clamp too much after a while. I've even tried bending them out a bit. I'm assuming for office use the Denons would stay on just fine? .....................

How do the earcups compare between the two? I like the way the DT250s fit, other than the squeeze, though sometimes I wish I could adjust the angle of the cups (relative to the headband) a bit. My K501s have large, round cups that don't seem to want to stay centered and seem a bit loose, but I don't notice them as much. Something in between would be good.

The Denons would stay just fine for office use. If you lie down, you might feel that they are a little loose and think theyll fall off, but I dont think they would.

As for the earcups, the DT250 is very comfortable, but does not have larger round earcups. I find that if I wear them for long periods, it gets uncomfortable, because my ears touch the drivers/grill (whatever you call it) slightly, and that is a big peeve of mine (might not be for you).

I find the Denons MUCH more comfortable than dt250's, my ears dont touch the drivers at all. My Darths (dt770's) are also supremely comfortable, with even larger earcups. I think its a concensus that the Denons are a comfortable headphone.

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks so far guys.

How is leakage on the D2000? How is it with classical and Jazz? These would be deal breakers if they weren't up to snuff.

Thanks,
Dave

I cant comment on how much leakage, but from others on this forum, it seems the Denons leak more than a lot of other closed headphones. The DT250 has tight clamping and does not leak much.

I think the Denons would perform better with any genre than the DT250-80 to be honest. Again cant comment on the DT250-250.

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

The Denons would stay just fine for office use. If you lie down, you might feel that they are a little loose and think theyll fall off, but I dont think they would.

You sort of answered this, but I want to clarify. The DT250s basically only fit one way and stay there, since my ears are about the size of the cups. My K501's earpads are so large I can move them forward or back a bit around my ear and change the sound. Head movement or bumping them can move them. How are the Denons in that regard? It sounds like they don't really clamp (good for headaches, bad for movement), but how much room is in the cups for your ears to swim? Does placement of the drivers relative to the ears affect the sound much on them?

Also, the Denons have pleather pads, right? How does the feel of it compare to the Beyer's velour? (I like the feel of the DT250 pads a lot.)

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sort of answered this, but I want to clarify. The DT250s basically only fit one way and stay there, since my ears are about the size of the cups. My K501's earpads are so large I can move them forward or back a bit around my ear and change the sound. Head movement or bumping them can move them. How are the Denons in that regard? It sounds like they don't really clamp (good for headaches, bad for movement), but how much room is in the cups for your ears to swim? Does placement of the drivers relative to the ears affect the sound much on them?

Also, the Denons have pleather pads, right? How does the feel of it compare to the Beyer's velour? (I like the feel of the DT250 pads a lot.)

While the denon clamp is loose the pads are wider on the back and front therefore, your ears won't be swimming in the cups. As a result, moving around doesn't affect the sound too much because there is only a certain amount that the cans can displace.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the denon clamp is loose the pads are wider on the back and front therefore, your ears won't be swimming in the cups. As a result, moving around doesn't affect the sound too much because there is only a certain amount that the cans can displace.

Cool, thanks.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 11
I use the D2000s on the train on occasion and haven't had anyone complain of leakage. They might leak more than average (this is my first set of closed cans so I can't comment on that) but they don't leak significantly at a reasonable volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back