D2000 praise/discussion
Jun 18, 2009 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

RushNerd

1000+ Head-Fier
3568533205_1b39f4f4cf.jpg

Well it's been a exactly one month of constant listening and burning-in since I got my Denon's in the mail and I have to say I just discovered yesterday that I truly like these babys.

The burn in effect is a little hard to describe, but I can tell how much smoother and well projected the low end is now and the highs are less harsh. Even just plugging into the soundcard W/iTunes makes for a very pleasing sonic experience. I'll still need an amp though, as I find my self having to balance low end vs. volume. But these are some decent-ass phones.

I'll let everyone know how I feel about them once I get the Markl mod in. I'm thinking just restuffing the pads, putting the mat around the driver and MAYBE a lil bit of stuffing in the cup. I don't see how over damping the bass here would be much help, I certainly don't want to lose any! Any thoughts on this?

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 32
The bass needs to be tamed a bit as it's on the boomy side and having an amp would definitely help with bringing the mids out as it's a bit recessed.

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 32
Cool. Glad you like em Rushnerd. I have D-7000's and D-1001's and like them both. I must say that YES burn in helps these phones a good bit...I was unimpressed with my D-1001's(that I bought used from a fellow head-fier) at first but after a 50 or so hour burn in they have really blossomed in my portable setup. My D-7000's after many hours of burn in are just fantastic now. So rich and deep and lifelike...pure joy with the Woo WA6.

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad about the build quality issues, though.

Not quite sure when but am quite sure there was a revision of the later released versions that eliminated some of the build quality issues some folks had with screws falling out of place etc....

@OP I'll be happy to hear your thoughts on the Markl modded version as am perhaps heading in that direction as well.

regards

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 32
I'm still very curious to see how these cans preform when theres the serious power of a HP amp behind it with the low end turned up. that will be crazy.

Also this last week i've been experimenting with the phones on and holding my Bose's sub in my chair, it's simply phenomenal, I don't know who's tried this before. It's like the perfect unison, I feel like the bass is even louder and more powerful then the sum of their parts.

Guess i'll have to invest in a Buttkicker.

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 32
I too found the D2000s to be more pleasing than expected. The phrase "to each their own" rings very true for these phones. I had read over and over again that they had too much of a boomy bass and they they were not that clean. However, to my own personal preferences I actually enjoyed listening to the D2000s stock and I am a person who really enjoys listening to Grados as well. Perhaps it balances the lack of true bass presence from my SR225s since I do have preferences of which kinds of genres I listen to from each phone.

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 32
The D2000 are a fun headphone for certain flavors of music. I very much enjoy mine. I have the Dynamat and am planning on doing a partial markl mod to tame the bass, but I just haven't gotten around to doing the actual mod yet.

My view on the D2000 is that they are designed to sound pleasing and spacious rather than accurate. They work very well for some music and less well for other music. For most of the music I listen to they do very well. The recessed midrange causes the vocals on some hard rock / heavy metal 80's music to be too recessed and distant. It just sounds wrong, like the mixing engineer really messed up. But in most cases the recessed midrange is pleasing and gives a sense of added spaciousness to the sound. So it's a headphone that I find to be dependent on the type of music being played.

There are also times that I find brassy trumpet sounds and brassy saxophone sounds to sound somewhat wrong (this has been with jazz tracks). Like there is a brassy harmonic that is getting emphasized. I've heard that a couple of times, but I've forgotten to write down what tracks that effect occurred on so I could go back and verify that I heard what I thought I heard.

But oh, they D2000 sounds so good with strings like acoustic guitar and electric guitar. It gets the ambiances and resonances of an acoustic guitar. Same for the ambiance and hall effect with a pipe organ. Oh I love the D2000 with a pipe organ. Rock, classic rock, heavy metal and similar also sounds good as long as recessed vocals don't make their lack of presence noted.

A very nice to listen to headphone. Just not one that I'd consider a perfect all-rounder for all music and all types of music. And not one I'd recommend as a monitoring headphone, it's a listening headphone not a monitoring headphone.

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2000 are a fun headphone for certain flavors of music. I very much enjoy mine. I have the Dynamat and am planning on doing a partial markl mod to tame the bass, but I just haven't gotten around to doing the actual mod yet.

My view on the D2000 is that they are designed to sound pleasing and spacious rather than accurate. They work very well for some music and less well for other music. For most of the music I listen to they do very well. The recessed midrange causes the vocals on some hard rock / heavy metal 80's music to be too recessed and distant. It just sounds wrong, like the mixing engineer really messed up. But in most cases the recessed midrange is pleasing and gives a sense of added spaciousness to the sound. So it's a headphone that I find to be dependent on the type of music being played.

There are also times that I find brassy trumpet sounds and brassy saxophone sounds to sound somewhat wrong (this has been with jazz tracks). Like there is a brassy harmonic that is getting emphasized. I've heard that a couple of times, but I've forgotten to write down what tracks that effect occurred on so I could go back and verify that I heard what I thought I heard.

But oh, they D2000 sounds so good with strings like acoustic guitar and electric guitar. It gets the ambiances and resonances of an acoustic guitar. Same for the ambiance and hall effect with a pipe organ. Oh I love the D2000 with a pipe organ. Rock, classic rock, heavy metal and similar also sounds good as long as recessed vocals don't make their lack of presence noted.

A very nice to listen to headphone. Just not one that I'd consider a perfect all-rounder for all music and all types of music. And not one I'd recommend as a monitoring headphone, it's a listening headphone not a monitoring headphone.

Lol you certainly have it pinned eh? I don't think anyone's calling these monitoring headphones, the fact that they are bass-heavy probably should be the give away there. I'm completely fine with that though, I usually like to be excited and driven by music rather then have completely flat accuracy. I admit they really shine for hard rock, metal, and electronic-based instrumentation. But i've had a ball listening to electronic/big beat through them (Prodigy FTW!!!) as it's amazing to actually hear those really low frequencies.

Once thing I did notice, at least with out wire/markl mods is the very high treble end is slightly lacking, not as pronounced crisp as i'm used to. I'm pretty sure the glass breaking sound on YYZ is supposed to give you shivers everytime. Still it's well worth the sacrifice considering how well the bass is presented.

I know there is a world of better, different HP's out there, but this is my first stint as real craftsmanship and quality, i'm loving it.

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
d2000 rocks.
I'm really interested how they stack up against a pair of k701/2 though.

D2000 is more fun but there's nothing really accurate about it. It sounds kind of honky in the midrange to me. Bass is extremely over-emphasized and inaccurate, but enjoyable to listen to a lot of the time. Personally I think the D5000 is one or two levels above the D2000, but the bass needs tightening up with mods.

K702 is technically superior in every way but the bass sucks, I'm sad to say. Anyone who tells you the K701/K702 has accurate bass really doesn't know what bass sounds like in the real world. However, if you smoosh the pads against your head the bass sounds much fuller, louder and more extended, so really all the headphone needs is thinner pads. It is a good headphone especially for its price. I'd choose it any day over the D2000.

But frankly, I'd choose the DT880/600 over either. Of course you need one hell of an amp to drive them properly, preferably tubes, one like the DNA Sonett.

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #14 of 32
For me the d2000 is for day listening, it is fun cans but not really suit for night listening. For that I am still like Yuin PK1 more because more laidback and smooth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back