D2000 or k702?
Jan 1, 2009 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Acrog

Head-Fier
I've decided on theses two cans, and want an opinion on which is best for acoustic, alternative, some jazz, and rock. Current can is hd280pro, current amp is a headroom total airhead, and source is alac out of a 120gb ipod. Thinking of getting a corda arietta. I don't like the low-end of the hd280's, it is lacking impact and body.

I've heard that the k702 make anything that wasn't recorded well sound horrible, but is the sound characteristics fine for most music? I've also heard that they have fatiguing highs. Would they be any more earsplitting than my hd280s, as they can drive me mad after a while.

The d2000's are supposed to have an amazing low end, but is it overpowering? I want a can that is balanced, but with great low extension. This is where the d2000 surpass the k702, but if it is overpowering, then I would rather get the k702.

Any other thoughts on a ~$300 can that is great with my music? I was considering dt880 or hd600. The highs of the grado's isn't appealing, and I want a comfortable can.

Thanks

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 14
For acoustic, rock, and jazz. K702 best...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/k702-studio-393139/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/akg...s-gold-359127/

beerchug.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 14
I'd only go with the D2000 if you were planning on modding it (if you don't do the markl mods, you could at least woody it so you aren't stuck with those cheap cups), as it's known for needing adjustment, even after the 200-250 hours of burn in often recommended.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty set on the k702, but how do you think the hd600 fit in? The frequency graphs say they have better bass extension, and less treble then the k702's.

My first piece of advice: forget the frequency graphs. Graphs don't tell you what something sounds like, your ears do.

Second, I think the K702s are a bit dry for alternative and rock music. They have an extremely neutral sound signature, yes, but lack a certain quantity of emotion as an effect. As a substitute, I'll reinforce the recommendation of HD-600s. They're relatively cheap, scale extremely well, and most importantly, retain a well-rounded sound signature that's just warm enough to feel enveloping and exciting. It's up to you, though.

Regards,
Nick

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 14
I like reading topics like these, as I find it so odd to compare a closed to an open air. I mean everything is different, different purpose, just so weird!

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 14
I love my K701 with classical, jazz, and anything acoustic. But they are no good for rock, at least not in my system, maybe with a really nice tube amp. I auditioned HD 600 at the same time as the K701s. The K701's have a special spaciousness that the HD 600 lack, but the HD 600 was much better for rock. I found the HD 600 to be a good all around headphone, but there wasn't anything really special about it. The K701 is special given the right music, but doesn't sound good with the wrong kind of music. It was a close call but I chose the K701s (see my impressions in my sig below). K701 won't be very good unless you have a good amp. HD 600 are a bit more forgiving.

Good luck!

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 14
HD600 for 225$
Someone mentioned that they do deliver and have a ebay store. But still exclaimed they are shady, but with no explanation as to why. That and I have no idea if these are brand new or refurbished. Worth exploring though don't you think?
DAKmart

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 14
D2k has a better low end. k702 sounds a little too bright and brittle to me, but with amazing detail. I would recommend d2k if you were to mod it, a balance can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've decided on theses two cans, and want an opinion on which is best for acoustic, alternative, some jazz, and rock. Current can is hd280pro, current amp is a headroom total airhead, and source is alac out of a 120gb ipod. Thinking of getting a corda arietta. I don't like the low-end of the hd280's, it is lacking impact and body.

I've heard that the k702 make anything that wasn't recorded well sound horrible, but is the sound characteristics fine for most music? I've also heard that they have fatiguing highs. Would they be any more earsplitting than my hd280s, as they can drive me mad after a while.

The d2000's are supposed to have an amazing low end, but is it overpowering? I want a can that is balanced, but with great low extension. This is where the d2000 surpass the k702, but if it is overpowering, then I would rather get the k702.

Any other thoughts on a ~$300 can that is great with my music? I was considering dt880 or hd600. The highs of the grado's isn't appealing, and I want a comfortable can.

Thanks

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 14
The Denons are the best choice here, better bass and highs than these two and on par in mids. And modded, much better....
You can try my mod, and it will make the headphones more balanced with an much airier and spacious sound, more detail and soundstage/headstage, specially depth and a less laidback sound. Much better than markl mods (excluding the cups, which are extra) and cheaper/easy to do, because they use different pads, that give the qualities previously mentioned....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back