D2000 now same cable as D5000/7000?
Mar 28, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #47 of 71
I wonder if you can show pic's of the 1/8" plug and plastic middle Y-connector which should look different between the D2000 and D5000, if they are indeed as they were previously designed.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #49 of 71
Oops. Nevermind. It is clear that both have the 'D5000' cable, based on the first pic which is just clear enough. Wow. I had no idea that the only thing that now discerns the two cans is the cups, if this is being implemented as the new 'standard'.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #50 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops. Nevermind. It is clear that both have the 'D5000' cable, based on the first pic which is just clear enough. Wow. I had no idea that the only thing that now discerns the two cans is the cups, if this is being implemented as the new 'standard'.

My guess would be that it became more economical for Denon to use the same cable for all three headphones once they came out with the D7000.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #51 of 71
This is what started it when I had my D2000. Mine so didn't look like this. [Note - this y splitter has been attacked by a naughty kitty].

denon2000-cord2.jpg

FS thread here

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #52 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess would be that it became more economical for Denon to use the same cable for all three headphones once they came out with the D7000.

Agreed. Now there's really no point in getting the D5000 if the only difference are the cups. I'm kinda disappointed.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #54 of 71
True, they probably add more damping to the inner cups to change the sound signature abit.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #57 of 71
Sinner6, How do they compare sound wise?

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #59 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rideau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, they probably add more damping to the inner cups to change the sound signature abit.

lol. like a markl mod? hehe

i've got brand new D2000's on the way from B&H so i can upload pics with a ruler when i get them just as a double check (although i don't have D5000's so i can't do a side by side...)

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #60 of 71
They are quite different, while both retaining the Denon signature. Consider this, speaker drivers sound quite different in a wooden enclosure than they do in a plastic one. It's not coincidence that wood is the preferred material for instruments with resonating cavities. When was the last time you saw a plastic piano, acoustic guitar, djembe, violin, upright bass, cello or even electric guitar for that matter?

The way this manifests in this case is that the 5000's sound a bit richer, in the harmonic sense and a bit warmer. The big difference, being that the mids are more prominent than on the 2000's, still not exactly forward, but definitely less recessed in the guitar range. Another thing worth mentioning, is that the difference between them gets bigger as the amp improves, from what I've seen. In this case, I have an audio-gd Compass, and a FUN, and they are "more different" on the FUN. Both are excellent phones, though I prefer the 5000's, mainly because improved mids, but make no mistake- they sound livelier across the entire range to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back