D2000, HD580/SR225 or others phones?
Aug 11, 2008 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Slaughter

1000+ Head-Fier
Okay, I am pretty happy with my 2 headphone combo, but I really hate switching back and forth on the same CD and I feel I might be able to do better. I have my order in on the Buy.com $196 D2000 deal, just waiting for a shipment to come in, so let me know if I should cancel.

Will I be losing anything switching to the Denons? I will also take other recommendations to replace my 580/225 combo.

I listen to a lot of female vocals (new and old), folk, and different types of rock.

Thanks!

Aug 11, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 12
Don't cancel! Even if you don't like the D2000 sound, you could always sell them here for around the same price. But the D2000s just might surprise you.

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 12
With all the Denon hype I thought there would be more reply's.

Any other thoughts?

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 12
My recabled D2000 (with modded earpad) doesn't sound very good for most type of vocal, including female vocals. I think I'm hearing some recessions around the upper mids. The vocal just takes a back seat to other sounds. Other headphones like K501 and DT880, K701 or even my Etys IMO seriously crushes D2000 for vocals. I wonder if markl mod or tube amps will solve this issue.

It wows me with its clear detailed sound and those detailed bass
L3000.gif
, but it is not my choice to listen to vocal-heavy and folk tracks.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 12
I was afraid someone was going to say that. That was the vibe I was getting from reading some threads. The D2000 seems like it might be similar to the 990 (05), which I hated due to recessed mids and unrealistic instrument sounds because of the high frequency emphasis. I sold my 501 for lack of bass punch and speed on rock songs, although it had the best midrange/ vocals I have ever heard. I will never go with another Beyer unless they change their sound signature.

And the search continues for a headphone that I truly enjoy...

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 12
It sounds totally different from the DT990 from what I recall ( I didn't A-B them though).

I think D2000 mids is less recessed (after some pads mod), the highs is nowhere as aggressive as the DT990 Overall it gives a more relaxed (and slower) listening experience. It sounds less airy too because of the closed construction.

It's hard to beat a solid midrange combo like your HD580/SR225. A higher end headphones will give detail, but won't give the full listening experience your combo may provide. I don't think you need to upgrade but maybe you can upgrade your HD580 to HD600/HD650?

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 12
^^

Less Airy? The D2000s/5000s sound very airy for closed cans. And the vocals sound so much better IMO than the HD650s. Oh well, you wouldn't be able to tell for yourself unless you've heard them.

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 12
It might be our preference I guess. From my experience, I think the D2000 to be less airy than the DT990 and DT880 (which are some of the more 'airier' open headphones). I agree though that the D2000 is unbelievably airy for closed headphones.

After much time spent with HD650 and owning them, I think the Senns are one the best vocal headphones I've ever heard. It has this buttery coloration that no other cans in the price range can achieve, and I like it.

The vocal on the D2000 is raw and not bad, it is just pushed back behind other sounds. Your tube amp might just be the difference, I have yet to listen to the D2000 with tube amps.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 12
Yeah, the nice thing is that I can roll some different tubes to try to deal with the midrange. I agree that the 580/225 is a hard combo to beat in the mid-fi range, but for the price I might try the Denons to see, I guess I might be surprised.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 12
IMHO, the Sennheiser HD25-1 II is a very good combination of the HD580/SR225. I have all three phones, btw.

The HD25's have just enough high-end sparkle to have some of the flavor of Grado's, but the bass gives up nothing but the mid-bass hump in the HD580's. Mids are very nice, too, btw. The HD25-1 II's are quite frankly, a very neutral set of cans. They are both refined and rugged, with completely replaceable parts throughout.

They can be sibilant with the standard steel cable, though. All that's needed is the $11.95 HD650 cable to turn them into really sterling performers.

Be forewarned, however, that they are supra-aural and closed. They have a much better soundstage than many closed cans, but still - that part is not very similar to the 580 or 225 at all.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will never go with another Beyer unless they change their sound signature.

Or, alternatively, you might want to go back to older Beyers to get a sound signature which has the Beyer bass but no recessed mids and very good upper mids
smily_headphones1.gif
. Fairytales, you may think, but the classic DT990 (from the eighties, 600 Ohm) delivers just this sound. With good amplification (a must), it's the best headphone I've heard and the K500 or the k501 (much as I love both) cannot beat its mids. For (female) vocals, I'd recommend the old DT990's without thinking (as I would the K500/501).

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I am pretty happy with my 2 headphone combo, but I really hate switching back and forth on the same CD and I feel I might be able to do better. I have my order in on the Buy.com $196 D2000 deal, just waiting for a shipment to come in, so let me know if I should cancel.

Will I be losing anything switching to the Denons? I will also take other recommendations to replace my 580/225 combo.

I listen to a lot of female vocals (new and old), folk, and different types of rock.

Thanks!

Just remember... system matching is one of the most significant determinants of the sound you obtain from your phones.

You'll love the Denons (one they're burnt in)... if... you mate them with a source that matches well with the amp... and... with the impedance of the phones.

The Denons need an amp with very low impedance, with huge amounts of current output - similar to Grados. They will not sound good without that - with that, they're bass is tight and fast, they're mids and highs clear and detailed. Many SS amps (and tube hybrids) provide those specs (but not all).

The Senns need an amp with moderately high impedance, with huge amounts of voltage output. They will not sound good without that - with that, they're bass is tight and fast, they're mids and highs are clear, detailed and bright. Many tube amps, and many SS amps (and tube hybrids), provide those specs (but not all).

If you find the sound of these phones doesn't quite meet your expectations - its not the phones... its the set up.

With the right set ups, the sound of those 3 phones is superb and very similar in many respects - with the right set ups, there is no doubt they are among the best available!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back