D2000, DT 880, K701, HD650 or ATH-ESW9
Jan 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

EoY

Head-Fier
I'm looking at investing some money into a pair of slightly better headphones, and while having read numerous forum threads for the last few days, I've still not figured out what would be the best buy for me.

I will also be using these phones portably, and with great possibility even un-amped, so I'm looking for something that can still perform quite well without any external amplification.

I listen to a lot of very different kinds of music, ranging from trip-hop to black metal to indie-rock. I'm looking for a large soundstage and a warm sound. The last headphones I purchased was the Alessandros MS-1, but they failed to deliver that fuzzy goozebump feeling that my Etymotic ER4 give.

I'm getting the general impression of that Denon D2000 could be the way to go?

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 9
701 and no amp do not get along well. They need a pretty good desktop amp to approach good performance. The 880s, though less amp-dependent, still probably require one, so kill of both of those. If they are to be used on the go often, get the ESW-9s. If they are for use mostly at home, go D2000.

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 9
You can check into the Ultrasone models, to see what will bring you the golden goozebump...
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 9
I can tell you if you want unamped, don't even bother with HD-650 and K701. You also should know through a quick search that since you're looking for bass, the K701's would not have been your choice since it's very analytical.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 9
I have a Markl D2000 and an HD650 (can't really comment on the others). Based on the sound you said you were looking for, I'd definitely have to recommend the 650. It is, IMO, super smooth and warm and can be listened to for hours with little to no fatigue. It also has a solid sized soundstage.

The downside though is that it is pretty power hungry and will need an amp to be driven properly; on my Zune at full volume, the 650 sounds like it is 80-90% of what it should be and is at a decently loud level. Despite this, I still think it sounds fantastic even when underamped.

The D2000 has a somewhat similar sound but has much more emphasis on treble and low bass. It is more fatiguing but also more fun to rock out to. I think it has better instrument separation, especially in faster metal/rock guitar sequences. It also sounds great out of my zune since it has an impedance of only 80ohm (not exactly certain, but I'm pretty sure it is less than 100ohm).

Downside: possible fatigue (depending on your ears) and a smaller soundstage. It also may not be what you are looking for tonally.

In my opinion, your final choice should end up being based on what system you will use these the most in and whether or not you want closed or open phones. On home systems with good amplification, both cans are fantastic and their individual strengths outweigh their weaknesses--it really depends on the sound signature you like best.
On a portable system, the D2000 has to be my recommendation because it can be driven effortlessly. The 650 still sounds great, (and, when at home but away from my main rig, I use it more than the D2000 out of my zune) but is not really being fully utilized.

Regardless of the sq though, I still wouldnt recommend walking around listening to either since they are both big and bulky (esp. the denon).

Hope this helps and good luck.

*note: I've listened to both headphones through a cambridge 840c as a source and a gilmore lite/beta22/sonic impact t-amp. I've also listened to both through my zune.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 9
D2000 (25ohms) & ESW9 (42ohms) are the two most efficient, thus will sound best unamped. You will need a good amp to drive the HD650/K701 properly. Good Luck.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 9
Would a cheap portable amp like the Fiio E5 make some of the other headphones more worthwhile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back