D2000 and Audio Technica owners I need your help
Jun 18, 2008 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Vault

100+ Head-Fier
For all those who own or have demo'd both the D2000 and any of the ATH A or AD (500/700/900/etc) models I'd really like your help.

I've been thinking of getting the D2000 for some time and I finally got a chance to audition them this week. I loved the depth of the cups and the level of comfort, but I have a pretty small head (narrow rather than tiny) and the D2000's keep slipping off over or behind my head. They don't stay put and have virtually no "clamp" for my head.

The question I want to pose is: Compared to the D2000's how would you describe the fit of any of the ATH models listed? The next logical choice for me is the AD700 or AD900, but I'm worried I'll have the same looseness of fit.

Any pointers?
confused.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 16
Yeah, the "3d wing" system or whatever they call it does a decent job of keeping my A900s and at one point, A700s on my head. I've found that the drivers touch my ear lobes though, resulting in eventual discomfort. Whether or not this happens to you will naturally depend on your ears.

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 16
If you're referring to the Denon D2000's (damn that is annoying!), then keep in mind you can do markl's earpad mod. Really helps them to fit closer (I got about an inch total, 1/2" on each pad). Did wonders for mine!

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're referring to the Denon D2000's (damn that is annoying!), then keep in mind you can do markl's earpad mod. Really helps them to fit closer (I got about an inch total, 1/2" on each pad). Did wonders for mine!

You could also do the same to the Audio-Technicas. I don't have a problem with fit with the A-T's I've tried, but I have a fairly large noggin.

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 16
Where did they come from? Um...Japan, I think, lol. Yes, they are very good. Lots of info around here about them, as they are quite the flavor of the month, sorta...but for good reason.

Jun 20, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 16
It's just that I used to go on the site last year or two years ago, dont remember my account name... and they were never talked about or havent come out yet. Now they're being mentioned a lot. They look really nice too.

Jun 20, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMX Cowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just that I used to go on the site last year or two years ago, dont remember my account name... and they were never talked about or havent come out yet. Now they're being mentioned a lot. They look really nice too.

I've been blabbing quite abit about the Denon D2000 lately. They're the most enjoyable closed headphones I've tried so far!

Getting back to the OP, the 3-D Wing support of the ATH-AD900LTD is more secure, IMHO, than the rather loose and shifty D2000. But, if you intend to remain fairly still and have a good listening session--which is exactly what you should intend to do with the Denons--the fit shouldn't prove too problematic.

I do admit, though, that the "available arc" and the "vertical drop" used in the D2000's headband design could pose real problems with small and/or, in particular, narrow skulls.

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMX Cowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, ok, lol...gotcha. You know how we folks are...we like the shiny and the new. Denon started selling these a while back, and they made a huge impression on a lot of folks for their sound quality, competative pricing, and a lot has been made of the modifications that can be done, thanks to markl.

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks everyone. Slowly putting my fears to rest regarding the ATHs and the 3D Wing set-up. I really feel like I'm missing something special with the D2000 as I just cannot get them to sit properly. Not overly mechanical so no mods for me, unfortunately!

Narrow head so Pataburd, you hit the nail on the head. Also, shave my noggin so it only exacerbates the issue!

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 16
Just get yourself a cool headband and slip it on over your headphones - if you get the right one it could be a "pretty cool" look... right?

Could be a whole new "hip-hop" fashion trend!

Hell... those folks will wear anything!

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get yourself a cool headband and slip it on over your headphones - if you get the right one it could be a "pretty cool" look... right?

Could be a whole new "hip-hop" fashion trend!

Hell... those folks will wear anything!

CASE IN POINT:

34furious_five_fashion_small.jpg

Jun 20, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 16
Wow you think the cowboy boots and a dressing gown or a cycling jersey will make the D2000s fit better
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back