D2 - super/triple.fi
Jul 19, 2008 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dojo

New Head-Fier
I've been trough head.fi and couldn't come up with the answer. (those cats at anythingbutipod.com were unhelpful and rude)

Been rocking the Cowon D2/UE Super.Fi 5 Pro's for about a year now. Though it's MUCH better than the D2/V-Moda Vibe combo that I came from, I am looking for more, still lacking. D2's volume is 1-50...and above 40 (pretty dam loud), it starts to get a bit shaky. I'm ripping @ 192 or above.

Question(s):

- What amp ($100-$300) matches well with the D2's characteristics? Looking for something small (tiny?) as I live in Chicago and ride the subway regularly.

- Are the 5's even worth amping?

- Do I upgrade to the Triple.fi's w/no amp?

- Do I upgrade to the Triple.fi's and amp the sh*# out of them?

(I'm sort of using "triple.fi's" in a generic sense as I've stuck the 530's in my head and wasn't wowed...)

As an aside, Tool is one of the bands that I "test" my listens, as Dany Carey's drums/toms (mids) are amazing. I also listen to a good deal of R&b/Soul as well. Rock, pop, alt, pretty much the full gambit.

Any thoughts and/or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Don

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 8
Hmm, I'm interested in this question as well. I've been contemplating one of those Pico amps, and I have the UE Super Fi. 5s and UE Triple Fi. 10s as well as a Cowon D2. Also, what would be some nice connectors for this setup?

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 8
Dojo,

I have just posted this question over at http://www.iaudiophile.net

I was recommended to use the Corda Headsix amp from Meier Audio.

Also check this link for more information, I found it useful in terms of D2 users discussing whether to amp or not...

Anyone using a portable headphone amp? - iAudiophile.net Forums

Want to add that I use the Triple Fi's unamped and I am quite satisfied. I suppose it's just Head-fi making me restless and wanting an amp...

Jul 26, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 8
geek,

I will visit the links to see if I can garner the additional info that I seek.

I very much appreciate your input.

Does anyone else have any thoughts regarding the original questions?

Jul 26, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 8
Dojo, I have only used TF-10 not the Super-5. But I auditioned the Super 5 on my D2. It sounded good to me, and I almost bought it. Then I heard the Triple FI and I was sold
smily_headphones1.gif

I am still searching the forums on advice whether to amp or not. The triple-fi's sound great without amping though with the D2. In terms of transparency and detailing, the combo is top notch. I've listened to the Triples through other players, and Cowon's level of detailing is just awesome.
However, the D2 does not squeeze out the entire bass that the Triple's are capable of, all the time. On some tracks, I do wish for more bass, or find that they sound better on my old IRiver.

If this sound sig appeals to you, you can live with the Triple's unamped. IF you want to amp either the 5 Pro or the 10 Pro, you can consider the FiiO amp (thread in portable amp section). THe fioo has a slight hiss but Super 5 users seem OK with it. I don't yet know anyone with the TF10-D2-FiOO combo...

Jul 26, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 8
FRom the UE triple fi user manual I read that they dont recommend turning up the volume to more than 50% in portable DAPs. The D2 has the most powerful output of all DAPs and I understand it is far away from the average.

I think OP is on his way to be deaf. I suggest you be careful turning up volume to 80%. Ive found that 50% is quite loud (maybe not the greatest though) from most DAPs using my triple fis.

It seems that the triple fi is like day and night when compare to the super fi 5 pro.

Oh and I almost forgot, I refuse to use my triple fi unamp. Even from the headphone out of the ZVM the difference is quite big. A better source (Headstage lyrix dac instead of the ZVM) will make things even better. It seems they scalate really well as most people report great improvements as the amp gets better. It seems they are their best with the Predator, if you are willing to invest big bucks.

Jul 26, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think OP is on his way to be deaf. I suggest you be careful turning up volume to 80%. Ive found that 50% is quite loud (maybe not the greatest though) from most DAPs using my triple fis.

I missed that part...yes, I don't think those volume levels are at all healthy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back