D2 minireview and recommendation
Mar 19, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #18 of 25
I LOVE my D2. Only downsides are that touch screens are not good while driving and SDHC cards aren't free
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #19 of 25
Just to further clear up, as long as you receive a legitimate D2, it will come with a manufacturer's warranty, so whomever you bought it from will no longer matter.

I got a Zen 4gb a while ago, didn't like that, sold it and got my D2 in yesterday. Definitely a big difference, the Zen appeared to me to have virtually no bass, the treble was okay on it though and it had a warmer less articulate sig which would make it quite good for pop I presume. It also had a completely useless SQ imo, it had a base boost function but that helped little.

In comparison the D2 makes my phones sound highly articulate, almost overly to the point that I can almost see what people mean when they say they're getting robotic voices (although voices sound fine to me ...). Bass comparatively is also very good but is a bit too precise/transient for my liking. In comparison my H320 still hits harder and has a nice but not exaggerated bass boom.

Also, I've heard people say the D2 cuts soundstage, but I haven't really noticed any of that so far.

Video quality looks good, I can't really compare it to any degree with the Zen because I didn't them both on hand at any one time, but from memory the Zen was marginally better, but certainly nothing significant.

Oh and yeah, touch screens are annoying.

Also, forgot to mention the screen on the D2 is quite hard to see in direct light compared to other DAPs I've tried. It may actually be the protective layer I've got on it, but still it's annoying.

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #20 of 25
Nice introduction to the D2!

I think all I want to add to what has been said here is that the D2 will drive all headphones. But it will not be adequate for some. My K501s are a good example. The D2 drives them, but not well. However, the SR-225s sound pretty nice unamped.

I prefer to carry several SDHC cards with me for various music genres and a separate card for photos. I use the d2 memory for new music.

It really is quite amazing!

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #21 of 25
Hi again mates!

At this point for interface and file management features, expandability, battery life and output power, I believe one can't do much better than getting the D2. My only real concerns are about SQ. I've read a lot about the D2 hissing, having a "metallic" or "robotic" sound, or sounding very "digital". Others say it sounds from good to fantastic.
I dislike any sound processing and EQing, I play "plain files" and I want them to sound as they should without having to "fine tune" and process sound to get something just listenable. I've been using my G2 iPod this way for almost six years and I've been quite happy.

I'd be thankful if the OP after a few more days of use, and any of you, could comment a bit more deeply about D2's sound and how it compares to similar units by other brands.

Rgrds

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #22 of 25
I returned the D2 I bought a year ago (after about a week) as it sounded harsh, had quite a bit of hiss, and the voice recorder was pretty worthless. Also, the reception of the fm receiver was weak.

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #23 of 25
Don't think this was mentioned at all, but I found when I hooked up a portable amp to the D2 (via its very clean headphone jack), it sounded even better.

Personally, I found the voice recorder function to be VERY useful. I have recorded lectures from nearly 100ft away, and it did its job in capturing the presenter's voice very clearly, without the use of an external mic.

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #24 of 25
I have an amp coming my way, and that will probably start my journey into computer audio and end the journey into portable audio...

That's nice to hear that the D2 benefits from amping. I'm favoring the D2's sound to the A818, and I'm hoping that the amp will boost up the D2's bass significantly.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's nice to hear that the D2 benefits from amping. I'm favoring the D2's sound to the A818, and I'm hoping that the amp will boost up the D2's bass significantly.

An amp will fix all the flaws, indeed: RightMark Audio Analyzer test: comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back