D2, hard to make decision to buy you, or not buy you
Apr 9, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #76 of 94
Adding an impedance adapter helps add some more punch and tightness to the bass - and the D2 doesn't have a problem driving headphones with it. I have 32 ohm phones and added 70 ohm of extra resistance. There are some RMAA tests floating around somewhere which show the effect of extra resistance on the D2's frequency response.

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #77 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by hrz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least i think both Zep and shi are been honest.

Wow, you're welcome, the rest of us were just trying totally mess with you, how did you ever figure it out?

</SARCASM>

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #78 of 94
Finally I ordered iaudio 7, instead of D2, many say the 7 has better sound quality than D2.
Actually I ordered two sets of iaudio 7, one for me and one for my girlfriend.

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #79 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by FL210 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally I ordered iaudio 7, instead of D2, many say the 7 has better sound quality than D2.
Actually I ordered two sets of iaudio 7, one for me and one for my girlfriend.

Where did you read this? And is the SQ of iAudio 7 comparable to that of the X5?

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #80 of 94
I'm probably gonna get this PMP, I was thinking about the Zune 80, but this one looks like it has me hooked.
I'm still trying to choose between the two, but I'll make my decision by the weekend.

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #81 of 94
I forgot where but I was suggested the iaudio 7 instead of D2 if I have no specific need for video plays, I had a creative zen before and I really did not like converting video files time after time. just to make it play on the tiny screen.
Anyway, D2 is overall functionally better than iaudio 7 and of course, $60 more.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #82 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by FL210 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, D2 is overall functionally better than iaudio 7 and of course, $60 more.

That was my impression, too. I liked the touch screen control, and had heard that D2 and i7 had the exact same SQ, and that it was comparable to that of the X5. Well, I can easily forgo touch screen if touch screen means compromising SQ - especially when it comes at an added $60 to the price tag.

But do update us on how the i7 sounds.

And to those who have added a resistance to D2: Precisely how do you do that? Is it just a plug-in thing, say an adapter at the headphone jack?

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #83 of 94
yes, they are easy - just an extension cable or a more dangerous plug that has resistor connected to it. for d2, i think i could not recommend less than 120 ohm for best sound with iems as even with 70-80 it still is compressed. it really opens up stage in the late one hundreds but 75 would certainly be a good place to start.

i got mine from headdirect i think it was at a suggestion from one of the headfiers here. i had heard one some years ago and was impressed but never thought about it. but then again, listen to it first and if you like it, then don't bother by upping the sound quality of the d2 with added resistance but if you don't like it, please get a resistor. i wish head direct sold 120 as those do tend to sound about as good as i can imagine.

edit: as for x5 and d2, they have a different sound. other than compressed stage really, the d2 is technically superior to the x5 but that stage for some of us is just not fogiveable.

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #84 of 94
Thank you, shigzeo. Do you have a direct link to the cable?

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #85 of 94
Its DW04 (75 Ohm inline impedance adapter, a.k.a PtoS cable)

Head-Direct.com

I just got mine last night.

One isn't enough apparently, so I need to get a second PtoS adapter.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #86 of 94
Thank you, Zephyron. That does mean that another $50 needs to be put into the equation of whether to buy D2 or another portable device, though. $50 is almost enough to consider getting a portable amp instead.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #87 of 94
Well now that I'm pretty sure my zen has died, my justification of getting the D2 is increasing ! !
Although if Ken from ALO manages to make the LOD of the sony A800 series, I will have to reweigh my options.
arghhhhhhh wallet arghhhhh

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #88 of 94
Solan: No no, I mean its not enough for me. For others, it should be enough.

Including shipping, the Dowin cable costed me about 31 dollars or so. Its pretty well constructed, feels solid and is heavy (for better or worse).

DIY'ing would be a cheaper long run solution, but getting the tools and parts is costly if you're after an impedance adapter as a one time only thing.

Alternatively, you can check to see if the DIYers here are able to build an impedance cable for you and ship it as well at what should be a reasonable cost, especially compared to the cost of the original PtoS cable...

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #89 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, Zephyron. That does mean that another $50 needs to be put into the equation of whether to buy D2 or another portable device, though. $50 is almost enough to consider getting a portable amp instead.

You can get attenuators for a lot cheaper than this.

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #90 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by UseName /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get attenuators for a lot cheaper than this.

Any leads would be most welcome ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back