d2 boa or total bithead for use with sr 80i
Jun 26, 2009 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

drizzt

Head-Fier
I've recently made the jump into hifi would and bought a pair of sr 80i and am loving them so far. I am in the process of saving for an amp to go with my grados. I understand grados don't require much to run with the low impedance rating and since I dont have a lot to spend i'm looking into a decent portable amp/dac to buy.

So far I have narrowed down to what i believe to be decent products. I am trying to decide between the ibasso d2 boa and the headroom total bithead. I do listen to a lot of music through my computer as well as my PMP so I think the amp with built in dac would suit me best.

I am leaning towards the ibasso only because of the built in battery(can save me money in the long run) but if the total bithead has better syngery with the sr 80i or is just better in general I would pay for batteries when needed.

If anyone has experience with either of these amps with grados or just your opinions on the amps I would much appreciate the advice as I still have much to learn about headphones. Thank you

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've recently made the jump into hifi would and bought a pair of sr 80i and am loving them so far. I am in the process of saving for an amp to go with my grados. I understand grados don't require much to run with the low impedance rating and since I dont have a lot to spend i'm looking into a decent portable amp/dac to buy.

So far I have narrowed down to what i believe to be decent products. I am trying to decide between the ibasso d2 boa and the headroom total bithead. I do listen to a lot of music through my computer as well as my PMP so I think the amp with built in dac would suit me best.

I am leaning towards the ibasso only because of the built in battery(can save me money in the long run) but if the total bithead has better syngery with the sr 80i or is just better in general I would pay for batteries when needed.

If anyone has experience with either of these amps with grados or just your opinions on the amps I would much appreciate the advice as I still have much to learn about headphones. Thank you

I dont have experience with the Grados and an iBasso D2. i have Denon D2000s and an iBasso D2. The iBasso D2 rocks and should do well with the Grados. Im going to buy a pair of Grados to toy with.

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 7
I have used the Grado 325i with both the TBH and the D2 Boa. Either will do admirably for you; however, I found the TBH somewhat warmer sounding and the crossfeed works well on the TBH. I rather liked them both.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know that both of the amps would be a good choice for me. Now it's just a matter of saving up some money.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 7
I used to own a bithead but never tried it with a Grado. The d2 boa I think is a better dac/amp combo than the bithead, well at least according to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Cant comment on the Boa, but I have the Airhead, (same as the bithead without the dac). The headroom amps I think tend to sound a little dark, this counters the Grados brightness well and make a wonderfully good balance. I have the SR-80, (not the i) and use them plus my Airhead for travel. Like Tattoou2 said, the crossfeed is a great feature and one I think really improves the quality of time you spend with you cans.
Welcome to HeadFi
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back