D2 as a headphone amp with technics 1200s
Mar 30, 2008 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wired00

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I'm very happy with the SQ of my D2 when playing via laptop or iPod with flac/apple lossless and thought i'd try using my 1200's as a source (crate loads of vinyl to play).

Here's the equipment i have available:
A few different mixers (Pioneer DJM500, Stanton SA.3 and Pio DJM300)
The other option is to run phono directly from a table into my Onkyo DS494 receiver.
or I could use the line out from my pio mixer and a headphone-to-line out cable?

What would be the best way to get sound into the D2?

In short,

1200 > phono > onkyo amp > lineout > D2 output
OR
1200 > phono > pio DJM 500 > lineout > D2

Pioneer are well known for producing industry standard mixers so i assume their lineout will be very high quality. This is probably the best option?

thanks for any advice

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have all the gear, why not just try it?

sorry i re-wrote that post because i accidentally closed the window i missed out a question
smily_headphones1.gif

The reason im asking is im unsure if a stereo receiver is better at outputting a pre-amp(?) signal? Would a Mixer output a different signal as its optimised for use with a power amp instead of a headphone amp? or am i just talking junk?

I guess i'll just test both setups after work. should i just check for the option with less noise/hiss?

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 4
output signal should always be the same.

there are more options than the noise / hiss, such as warmth, depth and such. it really depends on waht you like and what you dont like in the end.

i would say (since you have all the gear) try both out, u might find advantages to one as to another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back