D1001's portable cousin?
Feb 20, 2009 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

grumbles

New Head-Fier
Since my previous post, I have continued to research - desperately trying to find that perfect set of headphones. Of course I won't find perfect, but something close right?

Anyway, I think I've come to the conclusion that the Denon D1001 is exactly what I desire. But there's a catch. (There's always a catch.) They seem to be a bit too bulky for my needs.
I don't need to go jogging with the things, but I do need to be able to shove them into a carry-on bag for use during flights. Do any of you use the D1001 for this purpose? Is it doable or just silly?

Considering portability, I thought perhaps the next best thing would be the Audio Technica ES7. They're typically regarded as being fairly portable. (That whole folding flat move.)
How do you all feel about this? Is the E7 worth its $100 price tag? Should I look elsewhere?

(In the event you didn't bother checking out the link to my previous post, I'm looking for a set of full-size headphones to use with rock and hip-hop music. I'm trying to stick with the ~$100 range. Comfort is a big plus.)

Any suggestions, comments, etc. are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 11
The D1001 is perfect for what you are talking about. They are not bulky at all, especially compared to other circumaural cans, very light, and they come with a short cord and cable extender (the short cord is great for portable use). I say just go for it, I'm sure you'll be happy.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 11
I am still somewhat in the same situation as you. For a long time I was looking between Ultrasone HFI-580's and ES7's. A husband of a co-worker of mine works at a company who creates all of the headsets for coaches and stuff for football games and for pilots and I asked him what he thought. He said the ES7's should be better. I then did a little bit more looking at the D1001's came into the picture, so I printed him off the information and am waiting to get a word back from him now, but for now I will tell you what I know about the ES7.

First off, from everything I have read, these are really good headphones. They are light, portable, have a great frequency range. However, they are not very comfortable. Right out of the package you will need to bend the wires so they don't clamp on to your head as hard. If you have glasses, I have heard you will have to raise them above the headphone, otherwise it hurts like no other. Glasses or not, they get uncomfortable after about an hour (and if you are using them during flights, you will probably be wearing them for more than an hour). The ES7's is also supra-aural (on ear, not over).

Just thought I would chime in and let you know. They are a great headphone, but comfort is a big issue on them

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 11
The D1001s are quite portable and aren't really that big. I've dumped them into my backpack and used them on a plane before. Beware though, the isolation is not great and on a loud plane it can get difficult to hear your headphones. Nevertheless, Im guessing it still probably isolates better than the ES7 since those are supra-aural.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by grumbles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, fghtffyrobesity. I do remember reading about comfort issues with the ES7.

If you don't mind, let us know what your friend says regarding the D1001.

In short, he said that the sound of both are very similar (I sent him the charts of the frequencies from headroom) and that denon is a good brand to buy from

Hope it helped
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 11
The Denons come with a little pouch that's pretty convenient for just throwing in a carry on bag. Like others have said, they don't isolate a ton, but if you want more isolation than they provide, I'd go with IEMs anyway.

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 11
Both have poor isolation Denon i think have a bag so u can put them in when not in use. So does the ES7.

There are higher range to those headphones such as the AT ESW9, ESW10JPN :p excellent sound :p and humm the Ultrasone Edition 8 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back