D1001s... and my first post.
Oct 24, 2008 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fixt

New Head-Fier
First off, Hello.

After reading a multitude of posts here, and bouncing from Darths, to k701s, to d5000s, to d2000s I've finally decided to take a step back and buy the d1001s and try to understand what sound I like before going deep into it. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Mainly, I listen to indie folk/rock and some electronica. Although lately I've been lsiteing to a lot of Radiohead. I enjoy listening to the intricacies in music and I prefer a clean, controlled experience. I am definitely not a basshead, but I like for it to be present, but in check and not to overwhelm the mids. I suppose I'm looking for a some pretty balanced cans. Are the d1001s going to satisfy me musically?

Now for my other concern, I plan on using them for my commute on the bus and I've heard they leak very little, but the impression I get is that they are bad for leaking in. I currently am using some ex51 IEMs driven from my iPod and find the outside doesn't invade too heavily; am I going to be happy with these phones or is the interference from outside going to be unacceptable?

I plan of recabling with some d5000 stock wire and doing a full markl on them. Is the markl going to improve the amount of leak in or just control the bass? And is there anything I can do to seal them better?

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fixt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, Hello.

After reading a multitude of posts here, and bouncing from Darths, to k701s, to d5000s, to d2000s I've finally decided to take a step back and buy the d1001s and try to understand what sound I like before going deep into it. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Mainly, I listen to indie folk/rock and some electronica. Although lately I've been lsiteing to a lot of Radiohead. I enjoy listening to the intricacies in music and I prefer a clean, controlled experience. I am definitely not a basshead, but I like for it to be present, but in check and not to overwhelm the mids. I suppose I'm looking for a some pretty balanced cans. Are the d1001s going to satisfy me musically?

Now for my other concern, I plan on using them for my commute on the bus and I've heard they leak very little, but the impression I get is that they are bad for leaking in. I currently am using some ex51 IEMs driven from my iPod and find the outside doesn't invade too heavily; am I going to be happy with these phones or is the interference from outside going to be unacceptable?

I plan of recabling with some d5000 stock wire and doing a full markl on them. Is the markl going to improve the amount of leak in or just control the bass? And is there anything I can do to seal them better?

Welcome. The modded D1001 will satisfy you musically. You bought the wrong headphones to maximize your isolation from what's going on around you, especially if the volume of the music is low. Turn up the volume and you won't hear what's going on around you, but at some risk that others will hear what you are listening to. The modding won't help this, but will improve the SQ. And you should not mod your D1001 in an attempt to improve its isolation, because you will ruin its SQ. Not that you won't enjoy your new modded D1001, but I suggest considering a portable amp that synergizes well with it. Post in the amp forum for suggestions in your price range when ready. I think you made a very good first purchase. Congrats and enjoy!

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 8
1Time,
Thanks for the input. I think I'll stick with the D1001 for now and if isolation becomes a big problem I'll pick up some noise cancelling phones.

PDOT,
That's interesting, I just looked the Creatives up and they look identical except for the top of the band. Unfortunately, the store that I have ordered the D1001s from only carries HD555 and MDR-NC60s as alternatives and the HD555s don't suit my needs and from what I've read on here the people were extremely unimpressed by NC60s and are over priced for what they offer.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 8
I just bought the D1001 off of Amazon for $84 shipped. Pretty good price I think. Never had any problems buying from them, and they have a good return policy if I don't like them.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back