D1001 Vs. ES7 Vs. M50
Jun 11, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #17 of 30
I'm sure the difference would not be night and day, seeing as these seem to be the 2 most popular sub $100 circum-aural phones. I have no idea about that mod, but I doubt you would regret your decision either way. Use the search tool to find other threads comparing these headphones, there are plenty and probably explain a whole lot more.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #18 of 30
I don't own a pair D1001 but I do own a pair M50. If you looking of a portable pair of headphones these are great a durable while at the time isolate pretty well. As for sound the highs and vocals are very nice and up front but don't as bright as SR-80. The mid and bass is more forward, they feel like they are right nice to you. The sound stage of M50 is very close to me and not as open as I would like it.

PS: All of this is based of an M50 with about 50hrs paired with a D10 and compared to HD650 and SR80.

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1356 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pads are soft but do they clamp your head really tightly?

No, less than any AKG (which are considered comfortable) and in fact my head is not small...

Quote:

So the M50 sound "better," then the D1001? Is the difference night and day? IF the M50s do sound "better," then the D1001, then what if I did this mod them? Would the M50s still be "better?"

never tried Denon sorry...

Quote:

Sorry if I am annoying some of you, it's just that I only get about $30 a month and I need to know if I can buy without regret. Thanks.

No one has ever regretted their first not-crappy FS phones.
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hvu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't own a pair D1001 but I do own a pair M50. If you looking of a portable pair of headphones these are great a durable while at the time isolate pretty well. As for sound the highs and vocals are very nice and up front but don't as bright as SR-80. The mid and bass is more forward, they feel like they are right nice to you. The sound stage of M50 is very close to me and not as open as I would like it.

PS: All of this is based of an M50 with about 50hrs paired with a D10 and compared to HD650 and SR80.

I have the SR80 and the SR325i as well as the M50. And I prefer the mids of the SR80 compared to the M50. They are less laid back with the SR80 and warmer to my ears. But I should also say that I like the grado sound a lot....
But I think this makes a point for you kirby1356 because listening a headphone is subjective - hvu and I experience the mids of the SR80 different. You should try to listen to the Denon and the ATH-M50 and see what you like better. I hope you find some place to listen to them!!!!

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #22 of 30
Maddin is right all of this subjective so they best you can do is try each pair of headphones. If you want to try the a pair of M50 you can go to GuitarCenter, they usually have a pair hanging somewhere in a corner somewhere. As for the D1001, I am not sure if you have a Frys Electronic store around but they do sell a pair of those at Frys. The only two issue is that GuitarCenter well charger you a 15% restocking fee "learned that the hard way
frown.gif
" and with all new headphone you just getting a taste of what they sound like because while all quality headphones you need you give is proper time to burn in. From my experience I hated my M50 between 4-8hrs burn in time.
angry_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the SR80 and the SR325i as well as the M50. And I prefer the mids of the SR80 compared to the M50. They are less laid back with the SR80 and warmer to my ears. But I should also say that I like the grado sound a lot....
But I think this makes a point for you kirby1356 because listening a headphone is subjective - hvu and I experience the mids of the SR80 different. You should try to listen to the Denon and the ATH-M50 and see what you like better. I hope you find some place to listen to them!!!!

Hi Maddin, to clear things up, yes I do agree with you that the grado mids feel more natural than the M50 and they do sound more like my HD650 than the M50 but to be fair, I prefer the M50 over the SR80 because of their two weakness in my opinion. First, it is the lack of isolation the SR80 just let in to much noise and you really can't block out background noise unless your at extreme volumes or unless you in a quiet room. Two, it leaks sound, everyone around can hear everything and I rather not deal with that.
The M50 isolate the best out of all three of my headphones. Second the M50 sound best to my when watching movies, yes the sound is colored a bit but the vocals come in nice and clear and all the background noise and music is more forward but don't over power the vocals in anyway.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #23 of 30
Hi hvu,
same for me with the Grados, they are - in my opinion - the prototype of an open headphone. My girlfriend (who doesn't like headphones) complained a lot about them. This was one of the reasons I bought the M50 - too be able to listen while traveling or to not disturb other people. The grados are for listening at home when I am alone - my rats did not complain about them so far...
Out of the box I found the bass of the M50 too strong and a bt blurry . Luckily this got with time a bit less but more more controlled... Before I had the AKG 26p for traveling and compared to them the M50 were a step up for me...
Still like the grado mids so much... but that is off topic here!!!!

Jun 14, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #24 of 30
I have one more question to anyone with the D1001, how well do they stay on your head? For example, if you look down, do they slide or move? What about shaking your head?

I am really torn between the two, but I think I am going to go with the D1001 because of it's lower price and from the other threads I have read, the sound signature would fit my preferences better. I do have a guitar store near by that has the M50 up for trial so when I do get the D1001 I can compare the two to see which I like better.

Here are the two websites I have been looking at to buy the Denons from...

BPAV
Averest

BPAV looks like a reliable place to buy them from. Averest looks a little unnerving to me. Which website do you guys think would be more reliable? Have there been reports of fake D1001s floating around?

You guys have been very helpful in my decision making and for that I thank all of you very much for your time and wisdom.

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #25 of 30
^ Nope, no reports of fake D1001s. However you would want to make sure the place you're buying from is an authorized seller so that you will be covered by warranty. I've read the the build of denons is decent and should be ok if taken care of. However if your a bit heavy handed, they may not be able to take a beating.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #27 of 30
Hey Kirby, just a heads-up, I originally bought the M50s and loved their sound, but wearing glasses they started pinching the "hook ends" of them, and giving me a head-ache after a while of listening. Sorry to mess up the good-with-glasses reviews lol.

Don't know if you've officially decided on the Denon's, but just thought I'd give you a heads-up!

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Still looking for an answer to how well the D1001 stay on your head.

The D1001 stays on reasonably well for having such light clamping force. I wouldn't recomend it for portable use. It doesn't fold at all, and the build quality doesn't inspire confidence.
This one is a very nice lightweight: HA-S150-S - HA-S150-S - Introduction

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpticElement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Kirby, just a heads-up, I originally bought the M50s and loved their sound, but wearing glasses they started pinching the "hook ends" of them, and giving me a head-ache after a while of listening. Sorry to mess up the good-with-glasses reviews lol.

Don't know if you've officially decided on the Denon's, but just thought I'd give you a heads-up!

Well I have a pair of M50 and I never had a issue bothering my glasses.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hvu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have a pair of M50 and I never had a issue bothering my glasses.

Well whether headphones will bother you if you wear glasses will depend on a few factors.

Everyone's head-shape is different. People have different glasses with different thickness of frames. Even the ear-size of a person may affect this.

I think the only way to find out is to try it out. Go down to your local guitar center, audition the M50s for a good amount of time - an hour or maybe even more. I know this may sound a bit long but hey, your a consumer spending your money, you might as well spend it to get something that will really satisfy you and be sure of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back