d10 dac/amp for grado 225i's worth it?
Nov 27, 2009 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thatt1guy

New Head-Fier
I have recently gotten my hands on some grado sr 225i's which i think are amazing phones, but i would like to make them sound even better. I currently run them off my computer using itunes wav files, and would like to know if a dac/amp (the ibasso d10 in particular) would be worth it for the price or if not a recommended dac/amp for the grados.

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Yes. While they are easy to drive, even my SR80s sound so much fuller with an amp. Though I have not heard it the D10 sounds like a good choice, as would the Pico Amp or the HeadRoom Total BitHead.

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Don't get the D10, the D4 is the better buy.

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 5
The 225s paired with the D10 we my first purchases. While people say that the 225s sound great unamped, I did not find this true for me. Just comparing the D10 amp versus the iPod headphone out, I found the bass improved and the overall sound was much fuller. The D10 dac is pretty good so if you need one, this is a good option.

For me, the 225s were just too forward and bright. While the D10 improved the sound, it was still not enough for me. I ended up getting the HF2s and have been thrilled with them. I also picked up an ECSS. Wish I still had the 225s around as I have the impression it would have been a good pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back