D07 Distortion Problem
Dec 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ninjate

New Head-Fier
I got the D07 DAC (for TVs) several weeks ago because LG thought it would be a good idea to not put an audio output jack on a 50" TV...
I connect D07 to TV via optical output and I have a WDTV media player & PS4 connected to this TV via HDMI. I should also note that these devices are plugged in 7/24 and for D07 this means it is always on.

The problem is sound was perfect at the beginning but recently it started getting distorted as if there is a frequency problem in the upper band and overall it sounds more "tinny" - it's same with PCM, AAC, DD and DTS formats and with PS4/WDTV as source. Last week the sound got so bad that it drove me crazy so I tried every possible setting permutation on my devices and it simply returned back to normal. I vaguely remember the last thing before it became normal was switching the audio format in PS4. Fast forward to 2 days later and sound is distorted again and now the format switch trick doesn't work too.

Has anyone had a problem like this, any ideas?

My theories are:
i) overheating due to being always on - I tried taking it offline and cooling down for a few hours though nothing changed
ii) d07 is somehow missing the proper audio format information (hdmi handshake?) and using the wrong frequency for decoding

p.s.: not looking for "just send it back to fiio" recommendations, thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back