D-VHS
Sep 20, 2004 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kfh227

100+ Head-Fier
OK, it's new to me and this is as good of a place to start asking questions.

I already have an HDTV, but can't use it. How much does a D-VHS player cost and how much do movies cost? I'm probably looking at hte low end of players though, so keep that in mind.

PS: Can thee do it all? 480p, 720p and 1080i? Or is it model specific? I'm guessing each tape determines resolution.

Karl

Sep 20, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 12
Sep 20, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?produ...3000&pathId=50

I fear D-VHS might go the way of the dodo all too soon - maybe you should inform yourself about some harddisk based recording system, too...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Is interesting to read about though. I probably won't be getting an AV gear any time soon. The next big purchase is my next house. Probbly a McMansion, but I realyl want something older with character so I might save some bucks. Which I can finally toss at a decent home theater.

Sep 20, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 12
D-VHS is 1080i only (it resamples 480p and 720p to 1080i) and there are only a handful of films commercially released on "D-Theater" (copy controlled D-VHS cassettes). The format never caught on. You should probably wait until the new HD-DVD/BluRay recorders come out before investing in HD recording equpiment (and even then be prepared for another VHS/Betamax type format wars).

Sep 20, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 12
Went the way of the BETA...
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 12
But aren't SVHS tapes cheap? And this recording deck would cheap because they would be on close out? It's not like you'd give them to other people so as a personal recording format it would still be ok even if obsolete and dead. I would imagine blue ray being expensive.

Sep 20, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 12
D-VHS, not S-VHS. Huge difference. D-VHS is basically like a digital camcorder that stores information on tapes. It's a digital signal, on tape. You don't get random seek like optical media, but the picture quality is supposedly astounding. As mentioned, though, it never caught on, and there's very few titles out for it.

Sep 20, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 12
Interestingly enough, it looks like D-VHS equipment is limited to JVC only.
eek.gif

Sep 20, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 12
I know he's talking about D-VHS but don't you use SVHS tapes? My point was considering the price of blank media.

Sep 21, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 12
There are actually special D-VHS tapes made to even higher quality standards than standard VHS or S-VHS tapes, though S-VHS tapes might work as well. If you're looking to archive anything with a VHS or S-VHS deck for a looong time then you may want to pick up one of those instead of a standard tape as it will most likely last longer.

Sep 21, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
There are actually special D-VHS tapes made to even higher quality standards than standard VHS or S-VHS tapes, though S-VHS tapes might work as well. If you're looking to archive anything with a VHS or S-VHS deck for a looong time then you may want to pick up one of those instead of a standard tape as it will most likely last longer.

I have a 2-3 yr old JVC DVHS recorder and S-VHS tapes work just as well as the much more expensive D-VHS ones.I think Hardisk and DVD recording is more viable.

Sep 22, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
I have a 2-3 yr old JVC DVHS recorder and S-VHS tapes work just as well as the much more expensive D-VHS ones.I think Hardisk and DVD recording is more viable.

Yes, but neither one can record or play in HD. Excepting certain Dish Network receivers with HD recording capability.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back