D&M Holdings (Marantz, McIntosh, Denon, Boston Acoustics) - up for sale....Best Buy bidding
Apr 17, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 7
Hmm...I honestly can't see Best Buy as a franchise surviving much longer though. First CompUSA, then Circuit City, and I feel like Best Buy is the next to go in electronics stores, whether they are now a monopoly or not. With electronics shopping getting easier and easier to do online and also much cheaply, I can't see any electronics stores holding up for long.

Apr 17, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 7
I find it strange that HK would have dropped out. As one of the biggest
holding companies out there, 700 million would be a drop in the bucket
for them. Maybe the behemoth has finally gotten too big. Just the
McIntosh and Marantz part of it sure seems to be worth that kind of
money.

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it strange that HK would have dropped out. As one of the biggest
holding companies out there, 700 million would be a drop in the bucket
for them. Maybe the behemoth has finally gotten too big. Just the
McIntosh and Marantz part of it sure seems to be worth that kind of
money.

I thought the same, but hasn't Harmon been suffering over the last few years? Actually, that might be reason enough to take a shot at it, really.

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 7
Harman have their own problems. They were supposed to be bought out themselves last year, but it fell through and their share price has halved since then. It's hard to pay for anything with a devalued currency.

Still, HK, Best Buy and other strategic buyers are in the best position they've been in for a long time to compete with private equity buyers like Bain, as the current credit crunch has made it pretty much impossible for the LBO shops to get the leverage they need to finance this sort of deal.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...I honestly can't see Best Buy as a franchise surviving much longer though. First CompUSA, then Circuit City, and I feel like Best Buy is the next to go in electronics stores, whether they are now a monopoly or not.

Blockbuster is working on a deal purchase the Circuit City chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back