D-JAYS, S-JAYS and shure se210?
Jan 26, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #17 of 50
I have just received a pair of s-Jays, so I'll just give you my first impressions so you can determine whether or not they'd be for you. Expect a full review... eventually. I'm not sure whether or not these siren drivers need burn-in, and even so, the sound is so unique I'm still going to need a while to get used to them.

First of all, it's a tiny bit difficult to get a perfect seal, though not annoyingly so. My ears are a little small, so the housings don't rest outside the way they should, they just sort of hang out. So it's probably just my ears.

Now, for the sound:

Detail: I wouldn't say it's lacking by any means, but these are a nice pair of musical IEMs. I say a "nice" pair because they are able to remain just musical enough to enjoy the music as a whole while still getting plenty more detail out of recordings than lower-priced earphones. These are not very analytical, in fact they're pretty forgiving for bad recordings. On one of my test tracks, "Shadows In A Shoebox" by Matthew Santos, which ALWAYS has distortion at one point due to Matthew belting out a high note at the poor defenseless microphone, that inevitable point of doom was actually much more tolerable to listen to. On the other hand, all the little clicks and distortions in badly recorded music that I hadn't noticed before were revealed, but they were subtle enough that I was able to ignore them pretty easily. Also, all the little details picked up by the microphone such as valves clicking, lips smacking, and little underlying effects were revealed to me for the first time in my life, and between these IEMs and my full-sized JVC HA-RX700 I now understand why none of you can just stay with the low end. I'm craving so much more now that I've heard that little bit of extra detail.

Overall sound: I know what you're thinking - "Hey, why did you skip right to overall sound?" Here's why - while these do seem to be a bit bass-heavy on flat EQ, a decent EQ or amp REALLY affects their sound to the point where you wonder if they even really have a sound signature of their own. The only thing I could not achieve with my Sony S639F's simple 5-band EQ was sparkling highs. I could make these very bright if I wanted to, but the highs will just never sparkle like higher-end 'phones. These things really react to equalization. I don't own an amp myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if they reacted drastically to an amp as well. I could make them have skull-shattering bass with recessed... everything, subtle bass with strong midrange and enhanced treble, or just about any other sound signature I wanted (except for those sparkling highs). I could even make them sound like they were underwater if I wanted to (which, to be honest, is a LITTLE like how they sound on flat EQ).

So, besides the EQ sensitivity, how are these different? First of all, completely disregard the 69ohm impedance. These are LOUD. And if I listened EXTREMELY hard, I could pick up the faintest little hiss from my virtually hissless S639F (it's not a problem though, when I say EXTREMELY hard, I really mean you have to almost give yourself a headache listening for it). Also, I'd say that no matter what you do with your EQ, one sound characteristic that will always remain with these is a certain "bite" that's neither good nor bad in my opinion. I guess this is just that "quickness" people describe with armatures, considering siren drivers are just armatures in a circular shape. Either way, it takes some getting used to. Sirens definitely sound different. There's also some fatigue that comes along with this "bite". After one or two hours on my first listen with these, I got a headache and had to stop. I learned that I could turn the volume down to remedy this, and while these do sound WAY better when the volume is up a bit higher (not really high, just not the volume I ended up turning it down to), they definitely don't sound horrible on low volume. Maybe after I listen to these a bit more my ears will get used to them and the fatigue will disappear, but it's too early to tell. Also, with the right EQ settings, these things can produce a very nice soundstage. It's still in your head, I guess, but the music just has this really nice spatial sense to it.

So, are they the best for the price from an overall standpoint? I have no clue. But if you want something you can really tweak the sound of to suit your needs, you have a player with a good EQ, and you're looking for something in this price range, you might want to take a look at the s-Jays.

Remember, this is just a first impression, and my opinions will probably change later on.

EDIT: Sorry for the wall of text, I sort of rushed on this.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #18 of 50
Well. I had the same feelings about S-Jays. Very prone to EQ and definitelly not "basshead" headphones ...as someone said. When amped, they have a LOT of potential.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolperl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well. I had the same feelings about S-Jays. Very prone to EQ and definitelly not "basshead" headphones ...as someone said. When amped, they have a LOT of potential.

At a very affordable price too
wink.gif
love it when new companies do so great with new technology.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolperl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

does my fiio e-5 count when you say 'amped'? :/

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuiterietraou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does my fiio e-5 count when you say 'amped'? :/

yes it does, it may not count to the fullest, but i counts =)

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ask we anything about jays, i own every single model =) you name it, j-jays,d-jays, s-jays, q-jays, c-jays you ask what you want. XD

For the d-jays.
When you wear them over the ear, does it force you to swap the left/right?
I'm not sure if I'm wearing them correctly or not, because nobody has made mention of this.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the d-jays.
I'm not sure if I'm wearing them correctly or not, because nobody has made mention of this.

Yea, same for the q-jays. You have to swap the left and right to wear them over the ear. Because, due to the fact that if you wear them straight down, the soundtube is angled towards your, when you flip them upside down to wear them over the ear, the soundtube will be angled away from your ear, so you have to move it to the left side to make it angle back to your ear. So yes, you do have to wear them swapped. Not a big issue though.

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the d-jays.

q-JAYS is normally not a problem to wear behind the ear without changing side. The angle is not as big as on d-JAYS. I use them like that myself everyday, all day
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Yea, same for the q-jays. You have to swap the left and right to wear them over the ear. Because, due to the fact that if you wear them straight down, the soundtube is angled towards your, when you flip them upside down to wear them over the ear, the soundtube will be angled away from your ear, so you have to move it to the left side to make it angle back to your ear. So yes, you do have to wear them swapped. Not a big issue though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetCed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
q-JAYS is normally not a problem to wear behind the ear without changing side. The angle is not as big as on d-JAYS. I use them like that myself everyday, all day
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. Just checking if I was wearing them incorrectly.
I wonder if there is an adapter that switches the channels back. I actually like using mine for gaming, and if I wear them over the ear, it messes up all the sounds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Ask we anything about jays, i own every single model =) you name it, j-jays,d-jays, s-jays, q-jays, c-jays you ask what you want. XD

Like the original thread poster, I'm torn between the SE210/QJays (as well as the UE 5/Westone UM2&3).

1. I've heard that the Qjays have v.good treble, mids, but are a bit low on the bass end. Incomparision to the SE210, is this true.
2. Related to the above, what is the clarity/detail like.
3. Microphonics is said to bee noticebale, how much so.
4. Sound stage in comparison to say 210 are not great, Is this true?
5. qjays have high impedance, but low sensitivity which should reduce hissing, can you confirm this?

Sorry for the questions, but before I put my hard earned cash on some entry level cans, I want to be 150% sure I made the right decision. Incidentally, I listen to Gospel and Jazz music, so I need a pair of cans that are able to deliver on all fronts - the ones quoted above are in my price for a neewbie IEM owner.
cheers

Feb 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by assimilator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like the original thread poster, I'm torn between the SE210/QJays (as well as the UE 5/Westone UM2&3).

1. I've heard that the Qjays have v.good treble, mids, but are a bit low on the bass end. Incomparision to the SE210, is this true.
2. Related to the above, what is the clarity/detail like.
3. Microphonics is said to bee noticebale, how much so.
4. Sound stage in comparison to say 210 are not great, Is this true?
5. qjays have high impedance, but low sensitivity which should reduce hissing, can you confirm this?

Sorry for the questions, but before I put my hard earned cash on some entry level cans, I want to be 150% sure I made the right decision. Incidentally, I listen to Gospel and Jazz music, so I need a pair of cans that are able to deliver on all fronts - the ones quoted above are in my price for a neewbie IEM owner.
cheers

Between the Se210 and the q-Jays, get the q-Jays, between the UE and Westone, Get the Westone. To your Questions:
1-NO, the Lows and Bass are not short compared to the Se210, infact it's more refined and much punchier.

2-The Detail and clarity of the q-jays is fantastic, though the highs are just a tad short compared to the Se210, it's superior on the rest of the frequencies.

3-The Microphonics are quite noticeable, but if you wear them over the ear, they are i would say a 8/10. Shure's microphonics are barely noticeable, i would say 9.5/10 for over the ear.

4-it depends what tip you use, if you use a smaller one that goes deep into the ear, then yes the soundstage will fall short of the Se210, if you use something that doesn't go as deep, then you won't have a problem.

5- yes, it does reduce hissing.

By the Way, Choose the Westone's (UM2 or 3, 3 would be much better). very simple answer, better reproduction, better soundstage, better response, just overall a Better earphone.

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Between the Se210 and the q-Jays, get the q-Jays, between the UE and Westone, Get the Westone. To your Questions:
1-NO, the Lows and Bass are not short compared to the Se210, infact it's more refined and much punchier.

2-The Detail and clarity of the q-jays is fantastic, though the highs are just a tad short compared to the Se210, it's superior on the rest of the frequencies.

3-The Microphonics are quite noticeable, but if you wear them over the ear, they are i would say a 8/10. Shure's microphonics are barely noticeable, i would say 9.5/10 for over the ear.

4-it depends what tip you use, if you use a smaller one that goes deep into the ear, then yes the soundstage will fall short of the Se210, if you use something that doesn't go as deep, then you won't have a problem.

5- yes, it does reduce hissing.

By the Way, Choose the Westone's (UM2 or 3, 3 would be much better). very simple answer, better reproduction, better soundstage, better response, just overall a Better earphone.

Thx for the prompt reply. I've also got my eye on the SE310 instead of the 210, but I'll certainly weigh up all comments above before making decision.
Decision, decisions!!!

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by assimilator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thx for the prompt reply. I've also got my eye on the SE310 instead of the 210, but I'll certainly weigh up all comments above before making decision.
Decision, decisions!!!

By the way, what kind of music and preferences for earphones do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back