D-Jays anyone?
Jan 23, 2008 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

quiksliver

100+ Head-Fier
well, here is yet another IEM to add to my list of potential purchases, The D-JAYS.

I heard alot of hype about the Q-JAYS but I don't want to drop almost 179 dollars on headphones, the 99 dollar D-Jays are more my speed

so does anyone have them? or has anyone here heard them? I heard they are a tad more bassy than the ety er6is which is a plus for me because I do listen to some techno and hip hop. I also enjoy more of a warm sound which I read the JAYS have, as opposed to the etys which I heard were more "analytical" and cold sounding.

I listen to mainly rock, indie rock, acoustic stuff, some techno, some rap

any comments, suggestions etc etc are welcome

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 15
buuump

I take it these headphones aren't too common here or something...?

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 15
I've tried them and loved them,but decided to save up more and get the q-Jays.

I listen to 90% underground Hip Hop.

What are you using now ?

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 15
well my shure E2cs are out on repair, but I don't really like them and want to replace them with the d-JAYS, and am using my workout jvc marshmellows with my ipod

and I listen to a fair bit of hip hop, saul williams, del the funky homosapien etc, but I am more into indie rock and stuff, but was the bass really good on them or something?

and where did you try them out? no retailer around me has even heard of them lol

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 15
is bass important for you?? i think for hip/hop, rap, and reggae you can get something with a bit more low end quality and impact, sure the d-jays are decent, and they are now out in some nice colours but they are a bit yesterday, the competition is all around them, its all about what sound your looking for

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is bass important for you?? i think for hip/hop, rap, and reggae you can get something with a bit more low end quality and impact, sure the d-jays are decent, and they are now out in some nice colours but they are a bit yesterday, the competition is all around them, its all about what sound your looking for

Well for a c note or a hair more what would you reccomend that has better bass then the d jays ? He doesnt want to spend more then that it seems.

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 15
well I want more of "warm" sounding headphones, similar to the px100s but more detailed, like I said I listen to 80% indie rock and acoustic stuff, so basically soft rock focusing more on vocals and melody than anything else

edit: im trying not to pigeonhole my musical tastes and what i want, the above is GENERALLY what I am looking for, but it is not set in stone and I am fairly open minded

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiksliver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well my shure E2cs are out on repair, but I don't really like them and want to replace them with the d-JAYS, and am using my workout jvc marshmellows with my ipod

and I listen to a fair bit of hip hop, saul williams, del the funky homosapien etc, but I am more into indie rock and stuff, but was the bass really good on them or something?

and where did you try them out? no retailer around me has even heard of them lol

The bass to me was a hair better then the Shure SE210K's I have,a hair better not a lot.I have friends at Uni here in Ottawa that have all manner of IEM's and Cans of all different quality levles and costs.I have tried quite a few over the years.My fave under 200 are my Beyer DT250's but those are out of the price range you want,and likely to big for you (many would not want to wear them outside,I do and love em) plus they'll eat your portables batteries for breaky.A 80Gb Classic 25 to 35 hours will quickly turn into 7 to 10 with moderate menu/coverflow use
frown.gif
but,the bass is incredible for hip hop.or any other type of tunes.

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 15
I guess you could always try some V-Moda vibes through thier site,and if you dont like them,send em back for a refund ? Many here would likely pan them,but I thought they were pretty good for 100 for bassy ish~ iems.

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 15
yeh the vibes certainly have more bass than the d-jays, the problem with the d-jays is they are balanced armature speakers which is good at that price but a single armature tends to be light on bass and high on detail.

at that price you can get some good dynamic driver phones. heck if you want bass for not much more, a mere £30 more you can get the king of bass dual driver, yes dual driver ultimate ears super fi 5 EB, they can be found cheap and kick bass gooooooooooood, other frequencies suffer but for the music choice who cares, you aint banging out no classical

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #13 of 15
i've used the d-Jays for awhile with all kinds of music, and am satisfied with them.
they are not bass-heavy, but i wouldn't call them deficient in that area. if a recording accentuates the bass, the d-Jays present them with impact sans any over-emphasis or flab, which i prefer.
the mids are pushed forward, which might reduce the soundstage, but portrays vocals and guitars very nice and clear. i think this is their strength.
the highs i also find detailed and clear, without fatiguing my ears. i like the overall presentation.
from a design standpoint, i like that fact that they are not meant to sit ddep in the ear canal, which makes inserting and removing very easy, but at the expense of a very secure fit. they can become dislodged on occasion.
also, i find the cable very microphonic, but i've read that a shirt clip will help remedy that.

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 15
hmm that actually looks better for me, since I heard the Etys are weak bass wise and even though I'm no bass head, i enjoy my techno every now and then, plus I want to use these at school and the ability to pop em in and out is a huge help

I heard the JAYs are alot like a portable version of the Grados, can you vouch for this one way or another?

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 15
i think any comparison to Grados is due to the upfront, slightly thick and warm mid-range, which lends itself well to guitar and vocal reproduction.
the d-Jays don't have quite the attack and high energy of the SR60, but this may be a good thing, as my ears can get taxed sometimes listening to the SR60, but never seem to tire with the d-Jays.
they also lack the refinement and low & high extension of the RS-2, but here we are comparing two very different phones in very different price categories.
overall, i'd say there is some merit to the Grado comparison, but i wouldn't call them maternal twins separated at birth...more like cousins that bear a family resemblance, if that makes any sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back