D-EJ1000 skipping...
Sep 3, 2002 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ToyTrains

New Head-Fier
Well, having had this player for around three weeks now, it has skipped three times, once each week. Once while it was vertical inside a waist belt, but I was standing still. The second time was stationary on a desk. The third time was again stationary, but with a CD-R. The other two occurrences were with normal, clean CDs.

So, I'm wondering if this is normal. I've seen several threads where others have reported this problem. I have a feeling that this is a design problem, and exchanging the unit will not change anything. For comparison, I use the player aroung six hours a day while at work and a few hours over the weekend.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem with their D-EJ1000?

Sep 3, 2002 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 7
The trouble with the D-EJ1000 seems to be that the edge of some CDs tends to rub against the tiny felt pads on the underside of the lid. The ultra-slim design of this PCDP leaves practically no leeway for even slightly warped CDs.

As it stands, if you want Sony's G-Protection and a line-out, then the only way around this is to buy a larger, bulkier, less-expensive model such as the D-EJ75# series - but be prepared to sacrifice the optical-digital-out feature, as the line-out jack of the D-EJ75# series is analog-only; currently only the ultra-slim models (D-EJ855, D-EJ955 and D-EJ1000) have the optical-digital-out feature.

Sep 3, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Interesting thought regarding those pads, that may be it. I just noticed them the other day. If a CD would touch them, it would most certainly affect the speed of the disc which would induce a read error.

I wonder if removing them would affect anything? The problem then is that the CD could impact the lid instead, which may leave a scratch. Have to think about that. I noticed that the pads do protrude just a bit more than may be necessary. I would if a similar, but just slightly thinner material would work better.

I agree about getting a different player, but I really like this one, even with the mediocre headphone-out. Is the headphone-out of the 75* series any better?

Thanks for the response.

Sep 4, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 7
The headphone-out of any of the current PCDPs is mediocre at best. The headphone-out on the D-EJ75* series may play through earbuds a bit louder without distorting much - but that headphone-out rolls off the highs quite a bit.

Sep 5, 2002 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 7
Is your battery low? I've found with the 925 that on certain discs when the power is running low (but certainly not empty i.e. one or even two bars left) it will skip. Connecting the power adapter immediately fixes the problem.

Neb

Sep 5, 2002 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 7
It "blipped" on me a few times yesterday, so I just decided to return the thing. When I took it back they were so impressed that I actually got it and the accessories back into the blister pack that they refunded my money even though that wasn't their policy. So, I shopped around both on the 'net and locally for something better. The reality... there isn't anything better. Most of what I came across was very cheap/bad looking. The market seems to be aimed directly at teenagers with players that are designed to last maybe a year. I had an Aiwa and Philips in my hand in Sears, but the idiot there wouldn't give me a clear explanation on their return policy. I wanted to buy both and return the one I didn't like. So, I left with nothing. In the end I got another '1000, so we'll see. The reality is that this is a very good player, it just has a mediocre headphone out. The line-out is fantastic. I plan on either buying or building a headphone amp for it.

Regarding the battery being low, it wasn't when the problems occurred, but I agree with your statement. Every PCDP I've owned has acted strangely when the batteries got low.

I just wish I still had my Denon DCP-70 from college. What a player! Too bad it was stolen... Damn near impossible to find them now, and I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for those old players.

Sep 5, 2002 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Okay, mine did skip the first few times that I used it while carrying it in a vertically-oriented PCDP bag. But then I realized that I had oriented the player upside-down - which allowed the D-EJ1000 to shift and slide all over the compartment of that bag!
redface.gif
So I re-oriented the D-EJ1000 with the remote's cord hanging downwards (instead of upwards, like I had been carrying it). The result? No more skipping!
biggrin.gif
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back