D-EJ01, why so much money?
Mar 29, 2006 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ILuvSony

100+ Head-Fier
I saw this and couldn't figure out WHY it was $400. I know it had the first magnesium body, side loading and all that... but still.
confused.gif

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/porta...5_2752crx.aspx

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 12
I used to own one of those. Yes, I am one of those "idiots" who paid about $500 Canadian for it (retail). BUT in my defense at the time there were none of eBay, etc, since it had just recently come out.

Is it overpriced? Yeah, I guess so, but you're paying for the "cool" factor of having the limited anniversary edition, slot loading, etc etc. And all that aside, I thought it was a very good sounding PCDP, much better than any of the current retail PCDP's I compared it to at the time. It had a very detailed and clean sound, though it was a tad "thin", but this could be corrected with a decent amp. Plus it had a killer optical line-out, which made amping it a breeze, and definitely worthwhile.

All that said, I wouldn't pay $400 for it today...especially since you can occasionally get lucky and find one for $100 or so on eBay...speaking of lucky, I put mine on eBay and a bidding war started, since I made sure I listed it when there were no others for sale, and ended up getting over $350 US for it!

Mar 29, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 12
I paid far more for them back in the day. Pretty much everything is more expensive in Europe
frown.gif

Still having it in mint condition and enjoying it, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not getting much use lately but it is eventually used as backup transport for the Apogee MiniDAC or as ... PCDP! (surprise!)
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geist
I used to own one of those. Yes, I am one of those "idiots" who paid about $500 Canadian for it (retail).

Sorry, didn't mean to call you an idiot.

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILuvSony
HEY MY 100th POST! ~in one week. (translate Head-Fi addict)

Anyway, I saw this and couldn't figure out WHY it was $400. I know it had the first magnesium body, side loading and all that... but still.
confused.gif

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/porta...5_2752crx.aspx

Thanx guys!
Joonmo

Well, back in 1999 when this came out, it costed 349.99 USD. I'm guessing your paying for the 20th anniversary of the Walkman brand (1979 July 1), magnesium body, slide-in disc, first flagship model featuring G-Protection, and more (backlit LCD remote that has CD-TEXT, which was also introduced in 1999). I really wanted that thing back in 1999--2000. It was _so_ unique of a CD player. :)

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILuvSony
Sorry, didn't mean to call you an idiot. I paid $400 for the D-777 brand new and have spent over $700 in the past week on an ER-4P, used D-EJ721, used D-335, limited edition white D-30, and another brand new D-777.

So, I guess I am a bit of an idiot, too. Head-Fi is breaking my bank. Take care!

Joonmo

Hahaha no worries, I didn't take offense to it. No need to apologize. Trust me - I have made some very idiotic purchases in the past!
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 12
hey, i had one of those. i traded it for my brother's dvd/vhs player. i bought it brand new 3-4 years ago for like $175. guess i should've kept it.

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #10 of 12
I had an 01 for a brief period a while back.
Sure it was a great looking and individual player,as for sound ,ok but not
great.[it did not have a good synergy with the Stax 001]
But after about a month it died.
I took it back to the Sony dealer where I originally purchased it and the guy
said that have had a large failure rate on these machines .
I swapped it for a 925 an altogether more practical machine, if not quite as pretty.
Back then I was in portable dac mode so the line out sound quality was less of an issue.
These days I use an amped 2000 model and enjoy it's line out sound quality
far more than the two previous units.

Though If i were a pcdp collector I would grab myself an example of the 01 player in an instant!
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu
I had an 01 for a brief period a while back.
Sure it was a great looking and individual player,as for sound ,ok but not
great.[it did not have a good synergy with the Stax 001]
But after about a month it died.
I took it back to the Sony dealer where I originally purchased it and the guy
said that have had a large failure rate on these machines .
I swapped it for a 925 an altogether more practical machine, if not quite as pretty.
Back then I was in portable dac mode so the line out sound quality was less of an issue.
These days I use an amped 2000 model and enjoy it's line out sound quality
far more than the two previous units.

Though If i were a pcdp collector I would grab myself an example of the 01 player in an instant!
biggrin.gif

I'm not very surprised they had a high failure rate, being that no-one ever tried making a portable with a slide-in loader. They were trying something new there. I wonder if they're going to try it again anytime soon...

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 12
I have used the the D-E01 (domestic Japanese version) regularly while travelling for over five years and never had any problems, although the drive mechanism can play up vibrationwise (no influence on output). To me, it sounds only a little better than the Sony D-335 or the iMP-550 thru D-E888's or ER-4P's. Also, I think it is one of the best looking PCDP's ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back