D.C. coupling
Nov 14, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
Well, I have no issues with high quality film caps in the path, consider that your DAC already has film caps to kill the offset there.. so that's your weakest link (unless you have something like the AD1868 or use a voltage servo..)
too bad there's not enough space in portable gear for that.. I usually just make sure all my sources are OK with the offset.

My SACD players DAC's are film coupled(my mod) but my X-Fi platinum DAC's of the main card I direct coupled to the buffer amp (my mod) & the buffer amps were already direct coupled to the output. Since there is no negative feedback bleed capacitor on the X-fi it is now D.C. coupled. So from my computer through my preamp to it's headphone output is all D.C. coupled.

Even though there is electrolytic coupling caps in my portable gear I don't want to add anymore insult to injury to the signal by having anouther electrolytic coupling capacitor in the separate portable headphone amp. This can still improve the bass of the portable by having a much higher impedance at my Zen Extra's output so the limited size of the coupling capacitor will not be taxed by deep bass. The bass should then be able to go down to at least 5Hz if not lower.

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #17 of 17
Can anyone tell me what the sonic signature of the PPAS amplifier is so I can try to figure out if I want to go that direction??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back