:D Boost iPod's Volume Dramatically
Jan 1, 2008 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ccontreras

100+ Head-Fier
I however found that those programs do boost your iPod's volume but very little and they reach max volume around half way.

So I have found a way to boost your iPod's volume dramatically

First Step: Download goPod and uncap or unlock your iPod's max volume.
Second Step: This will have your songs play at a peak volume.
goPod

For iTunes 7:

1.) Open iTunes, Select Library.

2.) Select ALL songs! (Quick = Ctrl + A)

3.) Right click and select Get Info. (If a window asking if you want to edit multiple items comes up select yes.)

4.) Look at the bottom...it says, "Volume Adjustment" and has a little slider.

5.) Move the arrow to "0 to +100%"
very_evil_smiley.gif

6.) Hit OK.

Instantly you have boosted your songs volume dramatically.
Remember to sync your iPod afterwards!

happy new year!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
older iPods try iPodVolumeBooster (MAC) sorry no tested this
iPod Volume Booster (MAC)
And there is no need to make the steps "Volume Adjustment" in iTunes.

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 14
Do you really need the program to do that?
iTunes has that option built in already, I believe..

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 14
I though goPod were only needed for European iPod owners? Cause Apple cap the volume on our iPods because of a French rule...

Jan 1, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 14
I do wonder how this tweak affects audio quality.

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 14
1: goPod only removes the European volume lock and does not work with the classic (yet). If you use it on an US iPod, it will lower the volume!

2: If you set the volume inside iTunes to "+100%", it won't make your iPod any louder. Your iPod will reach it's max volume when the volume slider is at 50% and won't get any louder after that point. The max volume stays the same.

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by me7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1: goPod only removes the European volume lock and does not work with the classic (yet). If you use it on an US iPod, it will lower the volume!

It lowers the volume? does it put the EU volume cap on the US model or something?

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DominicKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It lowers the volume? does it put the EU volume cap on the US model or something?

The volume cap is a little setting inside the firmware that can be set to either 0 or 1. GoPod can uncap and re-cap EU iPods by that setting. I can't try it on an US iPod since I don't own one, but I guess that they can be capped as well.

About sound quality: it won't change anything. The max. volume output and quality stay the same. Try it and you'll see that the volume doen't increase after 50%.

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 14
that's pretty dumb, they could've made it like adjusting the song volume like mp3gain, because it does normalize all songs that are imported. if it did this, though, it could cause potential clipping.

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do wonder how this tweak affects audio quality.

It distorts the music a lot..

I had really quiet speakers a few years ago and tried to get the volume to the loudest. I went into iTunes, changed it to +100%, and it was significantly louder, but the music (@128kbps and 192kbps at the time) sounded like crap.

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 14
I have a 4th gen color and I think goPod works a charm. The capped volume on my iPod at a 100% is just on that edge where I want it to go a little louder and goPod enables me to that. I never touched the iTunes slider but I do use MP3gain so the volume is lower on my songs. I will test a little bit more if goPod really doesnt cause distortion.

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaLyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It distorts the music a lot..

I had really quiet speakers a few years ago and tried to get the volume to the loudest. I went into iTunes, changed it to +100%, and it was significantly louder, but the music (@128kbps and 192kbps at the time) sounded like crap.

I imagine that it could be at least decent if you did this with some better-quality vbr files. But yes, it's like magnifying a jpeg. You get nothing but pixels..pixels....pixels......
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back