D-777 or MZR50?
Mar 3, 2004 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

silencer

Head-Fier
I was looking for a new player and out of these two players (D-777 or R-50) which would offer the best sound quality using Ety ER-P?

Forgot to mention I will not be amping either at this stage but will be in future.

Also is the R-50 better sounding than the R-55?

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 9
I've never heard the R55 nor the D-777, but the R50 sounds great and has a superb line out if you get an amp, someday. Sony MD units of that era all sounded the same, IIRC.

Mar 3, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Depends on how you like your music...

I have both the R55 and D777, and the R55 is potentially cleaner sounding, although that could be classed as being brighter, which to some (including me) is distracting...

The D777 would win it for me, that being said, its kind of the reverse of the R55 on the neutrality stakes, sounding potentially overly warm, and almost cloudy...

It all depends on what you want from your music... and how much convienience you're after.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 9
Well I already have an R-55 which to me does sound quite bright, and at the moment I have been using 7506's with them, the sound is ok but nothing spectacular. My other portable source is a sony D-EJ625, which is pathetic.

At the moment I have a choice to buy either to pair up with my new Etys and was wondering which would offer the best sound.

I already have minidiscs created so its no bother to make more, I'm quite like them as i get to leave my original cds at home, but if the D-777 is the way to go then I won't mind taking my cds out and about.

Mar 4, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 9
Well, you guys said it, it is brighter. I found that with all MDPs I have heard. At times it produces something I like, but for the most part it is not balanced to my ears. I have yet to find a better sounding portable solution then the D777.

Mar 4, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 9
The thing which impressed me about the D-777 was the power from the headphone socket... although given the below-iPod battery life, you would damned well hope it had decent juice from the phone socket. If you had good but not insanely efficient monitor phones I can see why the 777 would be attractive. However in terms of actual sonic performance, I didn't see (or rather hear) what the fuss was about. It's a warm sounding player which tames the awful scratchiness of the ER-4S, but you really don't gain much in terms of performance when compared with an ER-4P and a good modern player.

Mar 4, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 9
i own both, and the d777 wins from the headphone out.

line out: d777 again

ease: r50; if the d777 runs out of batteries, the line out is covered by the battery pack, which is not the case with the r50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back