D-777 for $275, and rising...
Jan 27, 2004 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ory=48679&rd=1

Unbelievable. I mean, it can't be THAT much better than the D465 I just picked up for £15, right?
biggrin.gif

I wonder what tedde_l's max bid is...

Jan 27, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 51
I have been watching this with great interest to see where it will end. There are new records being set for vintage players, might be time for me to lessen my load.....
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 51
crap! That got to be the highest amount paid for a D-777 that I've seen in a while, $305 for the final price. As far as posting links and perpetuatiing the hype, I think the price for pcdp climbs base on what individuals are willing to pay for them. In this case the price of this item was already high when the link was posted. Unless you were planning on bidding for the item, I see for no worry.

Jan 27, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by faustian bargain
hey, i've got an idea - let's keep posting ebay links and drive the prices even higher.

rolleyes.gif

kinda silly to express incredulity while at the same time perpetuating the hype, don't you think?

Heh, "perpetuating the hype"..
rolleyes.gif
What Warubozu said. It was already $275 when I posted it, and with 3-4 hours left, it was bound to go up anyway...

[size=xx-small]...prick.[/size]

Jan 27, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 51
i believe you when you say it was bound to go up anyway, but my point still stands: for all the 'informed' head-fi'ers looking at your post, there are bound to be several uninformed people with money burning a hole in their pocket. you just gave that auction some free advertising, and potentially added a few dollars to the final price. in the larger scheme of things, you are perpetuating hype. if you want the prices of stuff to go down, stop talking about it.

doesn't matter to me in this instance, as i had no interest in that auction. but i just found it amusing that you were all agog at the selling price while at the same time giving them some free advertising.

however, calling me a 'prick' is such a convincing argument, that i may have to reconsider my position.

rolleyes.gif

redface.gif

Jan 27, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 51
Just because an auction isn't advertised or isn't talked about doesn't mean that the pices will remain low. I have seen many auctions with no mention to it here and yet prices still go thru the roof. Believe or not auctions like this don't go unoticed. There are many bidders out there that aren't members of Head-fi that make the price of an item go up. It's not like we're all here trying to comment to any perspective reader that this is the discman to get or saying things like you will never see another one in this condition. All we are discussing here is the amazing price that this item is drawing, at no time was there anything bieng mentioned at how valualble or rare that item was, IMO see no hyping going on here.

Jan 27, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by warubozu
Just because an auction isn't advertised or isn't talked about doesn't mean that the pices will remain low.

First, in defense of the auction, it was a DBB D-777, not the usual Mega Bass one...and there is supposed to be a difference.

Yes, an unadvertised auction can go really high, but posting here also probably increases the price. It increases the number of people who view it, and probably bid on it. I tend to go pcdp scouting quietly and not post it so I can have an opportunity to debate whether to buy it or not. I saw a Denon DCP-150 for $50 (mine), a NOS D-777 for $280 (probably an unreliable source), and a used, with all the accessories D-EJ01 (15th anniversary, sorely tempted) for $125. If I posted them, then I wouldn't have an opportunity to buy them because they'd be bought up by somebody in a second. Maybe not by you, but maybe by the hundreds of silent lurkers. Maybe this makes me greedy but it's my choice. And FYI, a link to this auction was already posted in the Gear for sale/trade before this one came up.

I really think posting auctions should be discouraged...but again, it's your choice. I think auctions which aren't talked about, out of every couple, one will slip by for a low price. And some people are hoping for that.

Jan 27, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 51
this is insane.

this thing will sell for 300 plus shipping from Hong Kong and the d555 mint will sell for far less.

I dont get it???

I couldnt get nearly anyone to bid on my damn denon dcp 150

Jan 27, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 51
where is the rationality?

and this is" team record vintage discman" speaking to you..

dbb or not,..

humbug!

Jan 27, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #14 of 51
I don't think posting the auction here had anything to do with the price that discman sold for. Anyone familiar with the search function here will know that the D-777 is not worth that much money. So it is my guess that it sold to a non-headfier. I may be wrong, but that is my educated assumption. There isn't that much "hype" behind the D-777. Sure it is a nice looking discman, and from my readings here it is a nice sounding one as well. But there isn't anything legendary about it and it isn't that rare. Also, the bidding history shows many bidders with 0 feedback, leading me to believe that the seller was driving the price up himself.

I got my D626 for just under 300, and that player must be the rarest vintage discman in existence. I have never seen one on ebay.

Jan 27, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Pappucho
I don't think posting the auction here had anything to do with the price that discman sold for. Anyone familiar with the search function here will know that the D-777 is not worth that much money. So it is my guess that it sold to a non-headfier. I may be wrong, but that is my educated assumption. There isn't that much "hype" behind the D-777. Sure it is a nice looking discman, and from my readings here it is a nice sounding one as well. But there isn't anything legendary about it and it isn't that rare. Also, the bidding history shows many bidders with 0 feedback, leading me to believe that the seller was driving the price up himself.

I got my D626 for just under 300, and that player must be the rarest vintage discman in existence. I have never seen one on ebay.

Exactly! The seller did a great job in advertising it. All the newbies just getting into collecting vintage pcdp totally jumped on it. BTW there is no difference between the Japan and US versions of the D-777 with DDB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back