D-555 problem, please help
Jan 22, 2003 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

LamerDeluxe (tm)

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I just received my much anticipated D-555 from e-Bay.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working properly.

The first thing I noticed is that I can hear the electronics through the headphone out, no other Sony PCDP I have has that problem, so that didn't seem to be right.
Secondly, the volume wasn't very loud at all.
Thirdly, there was a really nasty bathchamber type echo in the sound constantly, which could not be turned off in any way by adjusting any of the effect settings.

It had a dent in the lid, I knew that when I bought it, it was said to function perfectly despite that. So I opened it up, couldn't really see anything wrong apart that maybe the large chip inside the lid hadn't been soldered using a lot of solder.
Got rid of the dent, that was nice.

Then I noticed the solder joints of the headphone connector looked a bit black. That's when I found the problem; the resistor directly connected to the headphone-out was burned up, and had come loose at one side as well. I'm not sure if thise would explain all the mentioned problems, but probably the volume and electronic noise, maybe not the echo though.

If anyone could tell me the value of the resistor directly connected to the headphone-out, I could attempt to replace it.

I already contacted the seller about the problem. I'm not sure what to do, the device was said to be working perfectly and I got it for only $60. Maybe I should attempt to fix it and if that doesn't work out return it.

I'm really disappointed, this seems like such an awesome Discman, even with all the problems I can hear that it must sound really great when working properly.

EDIT: The line-out seems to be working correctly. No weird echos or noise. It sounds noticably better than the line-out of my D-25s. But then I tried the Denon DCP-150 and it was in a totally different league, much fuller and more detailed sound.

BTW: Received Sony MDR-565 earbuds with the D-555 and they sound really nice. Slightly less treble and detail than the Philips HE915, but a fuller, smoother and more pleasant sound. With these my Denon seems to sound better than my D-25s.

Jan 23, 2003 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for the tip!

Hey Mekanoplastik you fixed your d-555 before, you're not afraid to open and fix these things and you know electronics.

If you wouldn't mind, could you maybe open your d-555 and use a multimeter (if you have one) to measure the value of the resistor directly connected to the headphone out? (it's the closest SMD one to the connector, in line with the direction of that connector) No need to remove any PCBs, just the bottom plate.

Jan 23, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 18
im sorry, i sold the player a while ago...otherwise I definatelly would have checked that for you
frown.gif

Quote:

you're not afraid to open and fix these things and you know electronics

hehe..well.. not really....i like opening things since i was little...that doesnt mean i know much..as a matter of fact i have killed more items that i have saved...hopefully that will change with time
rolleyes.gif

there are more head-fiers that have that same player, talk to them im sure they will not mind cheking the resistor for you...

also...i think it will be great if you can make a cdp-150 vs 555 vs d25 review !!!!!!

m

Jan 23, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 18
Originally posted by mekanoplastik
im sorry, i sold the player a while ago...otherwise I definatelly would have checked that for you
frown.gif

Too bad, but thanks anyway.

Quote:

hehe..well.. not really....i like opening things since i was little...that doesnt mean i know much..as a matter of fact i have killed more items that i have saved...hopefully that will change with time
rolleyes.gif

Same here
smily_headphones1.gif
I always opened up my toys when I was a kid and often couldn't figure out how to put them together again, so I threw them under my bad (my parents weren't happy when they discovered that
smily_headphones1.gif
)
It comes in handy now though, I've become reasonably good at opening and fixing stuff, but my electronics knowledge also isn't very good and I destroy things every now and then (the megabass knob of my D-99 recently, my Gameboy Advance when adding an Afterburner light)

there are more head-fiers that have that same player, talk to them im sure they will not mind cheking the resistor for you...
Yes, I really hope so, I want to try to fix it before leaving a comment for the seller. I wonder if the D-25 would have the same resistor in there, small chance, but who knows.

Quote:

also...i think it will be great if you can make a cdp-150 vs 555 vs d25 review !!!!!!

Absolutely, I had been planning that, but I have to get used to the sound of each one first. Unfortunately I don't have a headphone amplifier or quality large headphones (only reasonably good earbuds). I noticed those really match one Discman better than another.
But ofcourse I would first need to get the headphone out of the D-555 fixed
frown.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

If you wouldn't mind, could you maybe open your d-555 and use a multimeter (if you have one) to measure the value of the resistor directly connected to the headphone out? (it's the closest SMD one to the connector, in line with the direction of that connector)

I've got mine open. I don't see any resistors as you describe. Take a picture and post it. The closest SMD device oriented in the same direction as the phone jack appears to be a cap and measures like one too. I can't tell the value in-circuit though.

Stu

Jan 23, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 18
Is it also shaped like a tiny block? Man, I don't hope it's a cap, it would be harder to find out the value.

I'm going to open mine and put it on my scanner.

Thanks for your very kind help, I really appreciate it!

EDIT:

Here's the scan, the problem area is obvious.

d555prob.jpg

Jan 23, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 18
Err, bump, just to make sure the update gets noticed, should have used reply instead of edit.

Jan 23, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 18
My d-555 has a grainy sound from the lineout and eq settings. If anyone knows what would cause that, let me know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Jan 23, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
My d-555 has a grainy sound from the lineout and eq settings. If anyone knows what would cause that, let me know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Have you opened it up to see if you notice anything wrong on the inside? Maybe even simply dust or hairs. Does it skip very easily?

Or maybe the line-out connector got dirty?

Jan 23, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Is it also shaped like a tiny block? Man, I don't hope it's a cap

Oh yes they certainly do come like that. It appears to be 0805 sized. Sorry, but it's a cap you've got there. Resistors usually have markings; there are none on that part. Also, resistors hold one resistance. This thing starts out at about 30 ohms and then drops to about 1 ohm. I think you need to get the service manual. I'm not up to desoldering that part for its value (sorry).

Stu

Jan 23, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Mine too. Don't see any hairs or dust any where inside. Mine seems to distort as well. It used to sound great.

Stu

Jan 23, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by maczrool
Oh yes they certainly do come like that. It appears to be 0805 sized. Sorry, but it's a cap you've got there. Resistors usually have markings; there are none on that part. Also, resistors hold one resistance. This thing starts out at about 30 ohms and then drops to about 1 ohm. I think you need to get the service manual. I'm not up to desoldering that part for its value (sorry).

Stu

I wouldn't dare asking you to desolder it
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the information!

Ofcourse, I can easily try to desolder it as I have nothing to lose. I wonder if it could still be measured. How do you measure a cap?

I'll see if I could possibly get that service manual in the Netherlands somewhere.

Jan 23, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 18
So that grainy sound is only from the line-out, not from the headphone or digital out?

I wonder what could possibly be causing that, as those connectors are gold they couldn't oxidize.

Jan 23, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

How do you measure a cap?

Use an LCR meter.

Quote:

So that grainy sound is only from the line-out, not from the headphone or digital out?

Actually, yes. I just checked it out and I believe I have uncovered the problem along with a solution, at least in my case.

It seems that if the volume is set above about 4 bars that the grainy, distorted sound appears through the line out, which is odd, because the volume never changes on the line out and it does it whether something plugged in to the phone jack or not. Oddly enough, the distortion does not seem to be a problem through the phone jack even at higher volume levels. Anyway, lowering the volume to 4 bars or less seems to cure it.

Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back