D-33 vs. AZ6832, and other musings
Jun 20, 2004 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Stephonovich

Headphoneus Supremus
For an unknown reason, my AZ6832/17 died during camp about a week ago. When I try to play a CD, it spins for awhile, and the display reads 'E'. I assume this means Error. I discovered a troubleshooting mode by hitting Play, Stop, FF, and RW at the same time. (may be of use to people in the future) It lets you test the motor, laser, and tracking mechanisms. Anyway, they all worked. I opened it up to look for tracking pots that could perhaps be off (I've fixed Discmans before in this manner), but apparently Philips/Maganovox doesn't believe in letting the user fix anything. There is nothing, I repeat, NOTHING you can adjust in there. Of note, the 'Digital Servo Processing' that allows it to be fairly skip resistant turned out to be 4 springs supporting the laser/motor assembly. Marketing naming schemes rear their ugly head... still, it works.

Anyway, due to this, I brought my D-33 along the next week. (it was confiscated on Friday, along with everyone else's PCDP's/cell phones/portable DVD players, which is a pretty good record, but that's another story... we got them back at the end, anyway) I got it for a whopping $2 or something like that on eBay, and the only thing wrong with it is the headphone jack. Methinks there's a loose solder joint or something on it, as it gives very faint sound. However, as I use my CMoy, the line out works perfectly.

During my listening throughout the week, I discovered I like the D-33's sound better than the AZ6832. The /17 model, anyway. Much more. I always felt the 6832 was a bit harsh, like the treble was boosted, or there was always some clipping going on. The D-33, on the other hand, sounds well-rounded, full, and beautiful. I listened to Dream Theater quite a bit, as I know them quite well, and they're good reference CDs. I was blown away. The guitars sound so much more open than with the 6832.

So, what's the point of all this? It just hit me how subjective reviews really are. Duncan claimed the AZ6832 was the best sounding PCDP he had ever listened to. (Mind you, I respect Duncan with all my heart. His 'PCDP Review Through the Ages' is like the Bible to me. But still, he has different equipment than I do, and as such, the sound will be different.) I agree it's pretty good, but there was always something missing. Now that I've given the D-33 another chance, I believe I've found my perfect Discman, at least until my next purchase.

Just a few thoughts before I head back to camp. Hopefully this will spark a few interesting comments.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jul 29, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
During my listening throughout the week, I discovered I like the D-33's sound better than the AZ6832. The /17 model, anyway. Much more. I always felt the 6832 was a bit harsh, like the treble was boosted, or there was always some clipping going on.

Interesting... this most definetly is NOT the case with the AZ6832/05 that I have...

Also, the test mode you mentioned doesn't work with the /05 revision... guess they made a mess of things by the time it got to the /17 revision (to be honest, with Philips, at least in their old school context, it seems that the higher the revision, the worse the components....)

Bummer... How is it now? all fixed up?

Jul 29, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 5
Perhaps it is the revision number, as you said. I would like to try another one at some point when I have excess funds rattling about. But for now, methinks I'll be sticking with the D-33 and computer. Upgrades in my immediate future are going to be another 512MB stick and an Audigy 2 ZS. Gotta get ready for Doom III
biggrin.gif

I wonder if there's a repair manual anywhere for Philips PCDPs...

(-:Stephonovich:)

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 5
I like the D-33's sound. Dynamic and punchy, and is different enough from current PCDP's to make it (bearing in mind how much it goes for... and only as long as it continues at that price) worth it as a 'classic PCDP'.

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 5
i have az6832 and 33 ... it can get harsh with certain music ... the 33 is a little more rounded but not as punch or dynamic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back