D-33 output power spec
Sep 29, 2003 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

PeterR

European Group Buy Coordinator
It's not unusual for manufacturers to be a little optimistic sometimes when publishing specs.
I was very surprised however when I got my hands on the D-33 service manual to find out that the official output power rating was 5mW+5mW at 16 Ohm. I've measured several of these and they all easily more than doubled this figure (not to mention my slightly modded D-33 which will happily spit out 22mW@32 ohm
wink.gif
). What's up with that, why would they play down the capabilities of this player so much
confused.gif

Sep 29, 2003 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 32
Not to crap on your thread. How do you like the D-33, I was looking to get a "classic" Sony on the cheap, and like a fool I never did grab a D-25s when SS still had them. I wanted something nice to use while at work with myHD-280's
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Sep 29, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by PeterR
Absolutely love it.

Hmm may just pick one up. Are you using this with an external amp or just the headphone out?

Scott

Sep 29, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

It's not unusual for manufacturers to be a little optimistic sometimes when publishing specs.
I was very surprised however when I got my hands on the D-33 service manual to find out that the official output power rating was 5mW+5mW at 16 Ohm. I've measured several of these and they all easily more than doubled this figure (not to mention my slightly modded D-33 which will happily spit out 22mW@32 ohm
wink.gif
). What's up with that, why would they play down the capabilities of this player so much
confused.gif

That is very odd, especially from a major consumer products manufacturer. Maybe it was originally designed to be lower power, or the guys writing the service manual forgot to talk to the guys who designed the circuit. That kind of stuff happens in huge corporations sometimes.

Sep 29, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 32
Perhaps the 5mw + 5mw @ 16 Ohms specification that is mentioned in the booklet is the standard that they quote fpr everything in their portable range?

If you look at any cheapo headphone or computer speaker they always quote 20Hz to 20KHz regardless of how they perform. Perhaps Sony is doing the same? If this is so then maybe underquoting the power output is a ploy by them to make their products seem so much better than they really.

Regardless, the D-33 is a really fine player and justly deserves it repuatation as one of the classics.

Sep 30, 2003 at 8:14 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

my slightly modded D-33

I have one of those players. I love it also. How did you modded it?

Sep 30, 2003 at 8:30 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
I have one of those players. I love it also. How did you modded it?

I'm in the process of trying out various things (some capacitor upgrades, low noise reference in the PS, disabled muting circuitry, more subtle Megabass, opamp change, and more...)with this player, I'll give a report once I know what's worthwile. The increased output is due to smaller output resistors (and because of that the coupling caps should be enlarged, too) and a slightly raised voltage (5V instead of 4.5v)...

Sep 30, 2003 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 32
I got outbid on one of these on ebay, whats the most you would pay for a D-33?

Scott

Sep 30, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 32
I'm just looking for something decent, but not too expensive for work. I already lost one CD player in this office
frown.gif

Scott

Sep 30, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
I got outbid on one of these on ebay, whats the most you would pay for a D-33?

Scott

Hmm, most I've ever paid was 30$ for an unused NIB player (arrived today, BTW, the user's manual says 5mW as well
wink.gif
). Not too long ago they were usually around 10$ on ebay, but recently some went for 40$ plus...

Sep 30, 2003 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Hmm, most I've ever paid was 30$ for an unused NIB player (arrived today, BTW, the user's manual says 5mW as well
wink.gif
). Not too long ago they were usually around 10$ on ebay, but recently some went for 40$ plus...

Yeah I have set my max bid at $25 (with shipping) if it goes beyond that, I'll look around elsewhere. Unless you want to part with one
wink.gif

Scott

280smile.gif

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 32
I just got my d-33 that I bought for 12$ shipped off of ebay today. Wow, is all I can say about it. I put the volume on min. and it's still loud enough for my ears. Line out isn't too shabby either. My only complaint is that it picks up every miniscule scratch on my cd.

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Jonny Quest
I just got my d-33 that I bought for 12$ shipped off of ebay today. Wow, is all I can say about it. I put the volume on min. and it's still loud enough for my ears. Line out isn't too shabby either. My only complaint is that it picks up every miniscule scratch on my cd.

I really hope I win the D-33 I am bidding on. Sounds like just what I am looking for on ebay.

PS - If anyone finds a good PS for this, let us know
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back