D-321 vs D-777 and D-465 PCDP's
Aug 22, 2005 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

aullcm

New Head-Fier
Hi all. First post after much lurking. I recently acquired a Sony D-321 PCDP, and have been looking at the D-777 and D-465. I know the three are very similar. Are either of the other two significantly better than the D-321 sound-wise, especially on the line out? (I'm not concerned about the differences WRT ESP.) That is, better enough to be worth picking up and selling the 321? I don't really want to accumulate a bunch of PCDP's, but I think I'm on the way!

Aug 23, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 5
I think soundwise, all 3 are in the same league. Unfortunately, I haven't heard all three in awhile and can't offer up a comparison. However, in terms of practical use, the D-777 and D-465 have a leg up on the D-321 with better skip protection. The D-777 is the smallest/lightest of the three. The D-321 and D-465 have optical outs (for use with, say, the MicroDAC) but I'm not sure about the D-777. Ok, this probably doesn't help you much but if I was choosing one, I'd go with the D-465. Best combo of sound quality and useful features (on-unit LCD w/backlight, useful ESP, good battery life with AA batteries).

Aug 23, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 5
I have recently acquired the D-465 at around 20 dollars and it sounds significantly better than my portable mp3 players.

The backlit screens means that I can finally operate this thing in the dark (its pretty too). Solid metallic top cover. The ESP works extremely well, even with the ESP off, if you walk carefully the thing don't skip too much.

I don't know about the D-777 and D-321 though, if they are cheap enough I'd get the D-777 as well for collectible purposes.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks, you guys have been most helpful. It seems the D-465 has the best features and the D-777 is the most "collectable", but as far as sound I'm just as well off sticking with my D-321.

Aug 24, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 5
I actually have a D-777 that I'm still thinking of putting up on ebay sometime soon to finance a new Hi-MD MZ-RH910. It's in excellent condition with only some light scuffing if you hold it up to the light. It's also one of the earlier versions using DBB instead of Megabass. If you'd like, I can let you know when I finally put it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back