D-211 for 5€ LOL
Jun 22, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #16 of 23
I recently came across a nice D-211 in my office that I had put away 6 years ago. It sounds great with my Sennheiser PX100s.

Have you checked the output of the walwart power supply to make sure that it is working as it may be the problem.

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #18 of 23
The difference is in quality
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Dne10 and DNE20 should indeed sound different since they use different amps.

Sony MDR888 DIDN'T impress me a great deal;( Like you, Hifiboom, I got a pair of "old" earbuds with my first D211 and although 888s are *slightly* more 3D in sound(fantastic soundstage and positioning for earbuds for both earbuds) , the old ones are SUPREMELY tight in bass (quite unreal - there is no flabby "BOOM" whatsoever, just fantasticly tight, precise,very punchy and fast bass notes); the treble is also tighter on the older ones. The older earbuds are CRYSTAL clear too. Like the music is played out right in front of you indeed. To make it more weird still, I think that the old earbuds are MDR-E848 - an inferior , cheaper model to the 888s
confused.gif
But it must be one of the very first manufactured bunches ( it has a stupid micro plug too, its needed for the remote) + I also use them with the D211's remote(different to yours - yours is from D311 I think), which probably incorporates quite a bit of resistance, since the phones need more volume to get the same loudness as the 888...

As for your source quest - ask in the "source" part of these forums. From what I understand though, the rule of the thumb is that you need to steer clear from the big brand names (Sony, Denon, etc) and look at the likes of Onix, Cyrius, Music Hall, Eastsound, etc... Good luck!

EDIT:
Quote:

The included Model number is MDR-E551. Little question: is it possible to deattach the headphones from the Remote? I am afraid to damage something.

Yeah, it is possible. D211's remote uses Sony's moronic "micro plug"... That's why it does not look "normal", but just pull on it and the thing will come out. What's the point though, i doubt you've got another pair of phones with such plug?

Quote:

[DNE20 has]no backround noise, but the music on this thing sound worse than the noise that comes out from the D-211.

LOL LOL LOL
lambda.gif
cool.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by CPL593H
Have you checked the output of the walwart power supply to make sure that it is working as it may be the problem.

As I have a second defective Sony D-211, I tried this AC adapter wirth the D-211, bur it doesn`t work. So the problem is not the AC adapter.

frown.gif

@Ubijza:

You get me wrong, the 888 LP do not feature the 3D-Sound, it is the old earplugs from Sony that do this trick.

As you said right, they don`t project the sound in your head, it is more coming from around ( behind / front / sides).

The sound is much more easy to listen to.

The 888LP do have a good linear frequency response, but if I listen with the 888LP, I have the sound in the center of my head.

This is the sound I get from many other earplugs, nothing important.

But these old Sony plugs have a special sound ambience and I don`t know witch other headphones give you such a 3D-Sound. Thats why I prefer them.

In real live you never "hear sound inside your head", it always comes from outside. Thats what makes the 888 and other headphones not to be very special....

chears...

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #20 of 23
Allright, whatever...
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not looking for any new earbuds for the D211 anyway, perfectly happy with my old pair - they're different to yours, but absolutely fantastic in their own right: the sheer tightness, crispness and clarity ... almost bring a tear to my eye
icon10.gif

Regarding your plug problem:
Quote:

As I have a second defective Sony D-211, I tried this AC adapter wirth the D-211, bur it doesn`t work. So the problem is not the AC adapter.

-
confused.gif
confused.gif
Not sure what you've said there
smily_headphones1.gif

First, you can always try universal adapter (just to make sure that it is not adapter's fault) and then... My D303 also has this problem and after opening it up (i became confident with opening up PCDPs after messing around with my first skippy D211
wink.gif
) I've noticed that the adapter socket is loose and the soldered connections have broken... So if your AC socket is loose - then likely that's the culprit. You may also post to the DIY Discman repair sticky thread - quite a few wizards there.

Jun 22, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijza
Allright, whatever...
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not looking for any new earbuds for the D211 anyway, perfectly happy with my old pair - they're different to yours, but absolutely fantastic in their own right: the sheer tightness, crispness and clarity ... almost bring a tear to my eye
icon10.gif

Regarding your plug problem:
-
confused.gif
confused.gif
Not sure what you've said there
smily_headphones1.gif

First, you can always try universal adapter (just to make sure that it is not adapter's fault) and then... My D303 also has this problem and after opening it up (i became confident with opening up PCDPs after messing around with my first skippy D211
wink.gif
) I've noticed that the adapter socket is loose and the soldered connections have broken... So if your AC socket is loose - then likely that's the culprit. You may also post to the DIY Discman repair sticky thread - quite a few wizards there.

biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #23 of 23
Becoming a collector, are we?
biggrin.gif

LEt us know if you find another jem! hehe But I think they've all being "discovered" already: D211, D303, D311, D555, D515, Denon DCP150...
211(x2) and a 303 are enough for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back