Cyrus dac x ?
Oct 16, 2009 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

oldson

1000+ Head-Fier
can anyone comment on whether the dac x would be good for a headphone system?
cheers

Oct 17, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 15
I use a DAC-X with PSX-R at the heart of my digital replay and have done for over 2 years and no intentions to change. Great bit of kit in my humble opinion.

I put my CD, Computer and DAB radio all through it to great effect. I feed 3 ampifiers all off of the DAC-X. I use the phono outputs to my speaker amp and then use the two balanced outputs to two of my headphone amps. I use XLR -> phono cables to connect them and they run really well.

If you are thinking of buying one new then I think it is currently being revised and soon to have a USB input. (I could be wrong so check this out)

It digs up a lot of detail, it is resolving, great dynamics. As you can tell I am well pleased with mine
bigsmile_face.gif

So in answer to your question, would it be good for use in a headphone system ? Yes

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 15
Marco2
thanks for the reply.
i believe you are right about the dac x revision.
a dealer in reading told me it is due by month end. but will be £1500.

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 15
how well does it pair with the GS solo?
i have read that it can be lacking in bass!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a DAC-X with PSX-R at the heart of my digital replay and have done for over 2 years and no intentions to change. Great bit of kit in my humble opinion.

I put my CD, Computer and DAB radio all through it to great effect. I feed 3 ampifiers all off of the DAC-X. I use the phono outputs to my speaker amp and then use the two balanced outputs to two of my headphone amps. I use XLR -> phono cables to connect them and they run really well.

If you are thinking of buying one new then I think it is currently being revised and soon to have a USB input. (I could be wrong so check this out)

It digs up a lot of detail, it is resolving, great dynamics. As you can tell I am well pleased with mine
bigsmile_face.gif

So in answer to your question, would it be good for use in a headphone system ? Yes

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 15
My guess is that after you get your new DAC which is excelent you might start thinking about upgrading your amp, so budget for that next!
Good luck!

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 15
I don't expect it to lack bass. The dac x is supposed to be slightly better than the dac in my cd8se and there is plenty of bass with my Solo, but its a tight,punchy,fast and dynamic bass.
But if the bass is not on the disk it won't add to it.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 15
Certainly no shortage of bass. I use a DAC-X with a GS Solo and some 650's and the results are brilliant.

Cyrus gear can sometimes be slightly on the lean side so I would not partner it with a lean amp or headphone.

I would not consider the GS Solo to be lean and they complement each other well.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 15
cheers guys
it should match my amp/phones quite well then.
the denons are certainly not lean!

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess is that after you get your new DAC which is excelent you might start thinking about upgrading your amp, so budget for that next!
Good luck!

why would i need to upgrade my amp?
i would imagine that would be of no benefit!??
confused_face.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 15
Are you sure you're talking about Cyrus, or Musical Fidelity?
confused_face_2.gif
confused.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 15
oldson, don't get me wrong, I am not saying you need to change, only that you might be tempted. IMO the heart of the system is the amp. Happy listening

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure you're talking about Cyrus, or Musical Fidelity?
confused_face_2.gif
confused.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Cyrus dac-x is the one i am after!
i should have made that clear.
forgot about th MF dac-x.
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cyrus dac-x is the one i am after!
i should have made that clear.
forgot about th MF dac-x.
tongue.gif

The Musical Fidelity is the "X-DAC" if I remember it correctly. Whatever, Cyrus gear is great. I have a Cyrus II amp, sadly dead, going to get it fixed someday, but get this: the transformers are SIGNED.

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Musical Fidelity is the "X-DAC" if I remember it correctly. Whatever, Cyrus gear is great. I have a Cyrus II amp, sadly dead, going to get it fixed someday, but get this: the transformers are SIGNED.

yep, you are right. that is what i meant to write!
wink.gif

what do you mean by "signed"?

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you mean by "signed"?

I mean they were signed/autographed by the people who made them, just like Porsche engines used to have the engine builders' initials stamped into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back