cyroparts don't understand their own process?
Jul 15, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #46 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
google 'bonzai kitten'. if you dare. (an old gag site from 10 yrs ago that people took seriously. boggle!)

Oh yes, I remember it. Hysterical stuff. At first I wasn't sure if it was a joke or real but I quickly realized after reading a bit more that it was impossible to do.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #47 of 139
the bonzai site was shut down a few times because someone 'called the cops on them', so to speak.

more than a few took that site too seriously. ah, I miss the pre dot-com networking days
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #49 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes. He should never say something like that. When I started out on Head-Fi and got my Triple.Fi I said something to the effect of "it sounds like angels came down from heaven...." and I got ripped to shreds over it.

It's just confusing to hear cable reviews that suggest large differences and then hear believers say that the differences are "subtle" (too subtle to reliably DBT).

BTW - I would have absolutely no problem with anyone saying that about Triple-Fi's, Quadruple-Fi's or other cans.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #51 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Man of Genius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just confusing to hear cable reviews that suggest large differences and then hear believers say that the differences are "subtle" (too subtle to reliably DBT).

BTW - I would have absolutely no problem with anyone saying that about Triple-Fi's, Quadruple-Fi's or other cans.

Yeah, I never said that the cryo process was responsible for the improvement in SQ, did I?
I only said that the wire sounds that good. And yes, I've done a blind test and got it right.
All I know is that cryo treatment provides better durability which is very handy, no?

You have no problem with someone saying good things about the actual device that produces the sound, but the saying things about the material that conducts the signal from source to speaker is a no-go?
Using very high quality parts/treatments for the driver makes sense, but doing the same for the conductor is non-sense?

Reviewers are people who how their systems sound, and the smallest change will be noted and will possibly beexaggerated.
The speaker/headphone/IEM is the most important factor, then comes the amp, then the source.
Interconnects are for fine-tuning, and replacing amp parts are for ultra fine-tuning.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #52 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. And yes, I've done a blind test and got it right.

That is very interesting indeed. Can you describe your protocol especially how many trials and your swichover technique.

Thanks

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #53 of 139
There are quite a few people that sell cryo-treated tubes, but this has always seemed like folly to me, especially the cryo-treatment of 60 year old NOS tubes. I'm no chemist or physicist, but it seems like putting the old tube under undue stress for no really good reason.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #54 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is very interesting indeed. Can you describe your protocol especially how many trials and your swichover technique.

Thanks

I brought my tweaked D2000 to a local hi-fi store that also has a lot of headphones and they put me in a silent room with a sleep mask on and they put all kinds of headphones on my head (Grado's, AKGs, Denons, BeyerDynamics) and I had to say which one I heard after they took it off my head.
I did guess wrong a couple of times, but with the Denons I guessed correctly.

Before the test was conducted, I did familiarize myself with the models I had not heard before.

So I only listened and guessed. The rest was done by the people who work there.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #55 of 139
Quote:

I brought my tweaked D2000 to a local hi-fi store that also has a lot of headphones and they put me in a silent room with a sleep mask on and they put all kinds of headphones on my head (Grado's, AKGs, Denons, BeyerDynamics) and I had to say which one I heard after they took it off my head.

Before the test was conducted, I did familiarize myself with the models I had not heard before.

So then you weren't able to differentiate between a stock D2000 and your modified pair.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #56 of 139
Quote:

So. You were judging which headphones you were listening to, not different cables, so unless one pair was an un-cryo'ed cabled but otherwise identically tweaked D2000 your test is not terribly helpful
confused.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #57 of 139
... Look here.

Quote:

I only said that the wire sounds that good. And yes, I've done a blind test and got it right.

I said that the wire sounds good, not the cryotreatment.

Not to be blunt, but if you searched what Cryoparts TWcu is, you would've known that the wire is cryo treated before it leaves their shop ergo it's impossible for me to AB untreated vs treated.

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #58 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are quite a few people that sell cryo-treated tubes, but this has always seemed like folly to me, especially the cryo-treatment of 60 year old NOS tubes. I'm no chemist or physicist, but it seems like putting the old tube under undue stress for no really good reason.

Tubes are in a vacuum. The only direct thermal coupling to the plate, grid, cathode, etc. is through the metal pins.

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #60 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubes are in a vacuum. The only direct thermal coupling to the plate, grid, cathode, etc. is through the metal pins.

right, but if you cryotreat the whole tube, and the pins freeze, wouldn't the cryo-level temps creep up to the filaments?

I know people say tubes are a lot tougher than most folks think...but the idea of super-freezing filaments doesn't appeal to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back