Cypher Labs Sustain84 Desktop Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier
Aug 19, 2015 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

maricius

500+ Head-Fier
The local dealer had a model the day it was put up on the Cypher Labs site and I'm still wondering how come nobody has made a thread about it.

Sustain84 Desktop Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier

Featuring NOS ECL84 tubes in a class A single ended design, the Cypher Labs Sustain84 (model CLS84) is a headphone enthusiast’s dream. Designed specifically for headphone amplification, the Sustain84 has a pure black background. The power band is suitable for the most sensitive IEM’s and the most demanding planar magnetic headphones. We chose Z11 Output Transformers from Japan as well as Nichicon Electrolytic Capacitors and Cardas RCA input connectors. We incorporated a specially designed switching power supply and quality fuse for ultra low noise. Many power amps feature a headphone output, but the Sustain84 is an Uncommon amplifier of headphones.

Includes: 
ECL84 tube compliment
Power cable (USA 3 prong style)
Machined aluminum enclosure
Removable tube shields (tube shields can block magnetic interference)

Specifications:

Tube: ECL84 (6DX8 tubes may be substituted by the customer)
Input: RCA Jacks
Input Impedance: 10K ohms
Input Sensitivity: 700mV
Output: 6.3mm
Output Impedance: 8 to 600 (Japan Z11-EI48 Output Transformers)
Output voltage: 14Vp-p
Headphone power: 0.08W@600 ohms; 0.16W@300 ohms; 0.36W@100 ohms; 1W@32ohms
Low gain 2db, High gain +17db
Frequency Response: 30-30Khz (+-1db)
Auto-switching AC Voltage: 100-250V AC
Power Consumption: 20W
Standard IEC input with fuse protection (2A Fuse)
Weight: 2.5kg
Dimensions: 225mm (w) x 116mm (d) x 113mm (h)

Here's the link: https://www.cypherlabs.com/products/sustain84/

I do hope to be able to drop by the local dealer to take it for a spin. 

(photo is by the AD)

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 20
Mmm....was able to audition this at Egghead the other day with the HE 1000 and the Beyerdynamic T1. Sweet lord, I was very impressed with what I heard. I'm considering this set-up, if not for the rather expensive but totally worth it, Chord QBD76 DAC. I'm still mulling but waiting  for the Chord TT (less expensive than the QBD) . The Sustain84 is a great-sounding tube amp. I love it and the price point is competitive given with what you can get.

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 20
mmm......something untoward happened? I don't have a lot of practical experience with tube amps so I can't really review this competently and knowledgeably. So, I hope some of the resident tube amp experts will take a look at this USD 1,200.00 tube  amp and compare it with, say, the Woo Audio amps and others as well. Off-hand, I prefer this over the EL6 (not an apples to apples comparison), which I was also able to audition last week.

Aug 24, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 20
I was able to try it out earlier with the HD 800 and T1.  Mostly the HD 800.
Drove them effortlessly, and the sound was quite clean. Didn't have much of the distortion typical of cheaper tube amplifiers.
Amazing soundstage, not as deep as some solid state amps, but incredibly wide.
Very lush mids, with a very slight warmth in the bass. Highs are clear, not quite sparkly, but very detailed.

A bit expensive, for what it is, a compact, powerful tube amp, but it does it very well.
Though I suppose the same can be said for most of CL's products.

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 20
mmm......from memory, the Sustain84 did take off some of the edge off the treble of the T1. Speaking of the T1, although it is an "old TOTL model," I feel as if I've found my headphone soulmate. I absolutely love it! I haven't taken it off my head since getting it last Saturday night. It is the first headphone that I'm wiling to choose over the HE 1000.............................................................not! Maybe. Perhaps! Lol!.  And the quest for the perfect amp/DAC/DAP combo  for this mighty fine  beast from the land of Hitler :wink: begins for me.......Re: price of Sustain84 is in line with comparable tube amps like the Woo Audio WA7 and compared with other TOTL amp/dacs (portable/transportable), it is priced just right (considering that the price of entry into summit fi equipment starts north of a thousand bucks).  I think it is terrific value.

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 20
  mmm......something untoward happened? I don't have a lot of practical experience with tube amps so I can't really review this competently and knowledgeably. So, I hope some of the resident tube amp experts will take a look at this USD 1,200.00 tube  amp and compare it with, say, the Woo Audio amps and others as well. Off-hand, I prefer this over the EL6 (not an apples to apples comparison), which I was also able to audition last week.

May I ask, what is an EL6?

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 20
I am not much of a reviewer and usually don't post reviews on products, but I feel the Sustain84 is deserving of some praise.  Also seeing that this thread seems to have stalled I thought I would help bump it.
I ordered a Cypher Labs Sustain84 (S84) on Thursday evening from a dealer located in Vancouver, Canada, and it arrived early this afternoon
smily_headphones1.gif

I was lusting after the ZOTL2 after reading the thread about it, but couldn't justify the exchange rate along with shipping costs.  It probably would have cost around $1800 CND after exchange rate, shipping, and taxes.  So I started googling and searching for "headphone tube amps in Canada" and the Sustain84 showed up. A Canadian dealer had 1 left in stock.  Yes! It was even on sale, but even better the CND MSRP was still the same as the U.S. MSRP.  So even with very little in the way of reviews or impressions on the Sustain84 (all the impressions I could find were positive),  I decided to take the chance on it.

The Sustain84 was packaged EXTREMELY WELL for shipping. While the box wasn't fancy, like an apple product, you could tell they put a lot of effort into making sure the amp would survive its journey to its new home.  The outer box was a heavier duty cardboard box packed with air bags and shipping paper.   The inner box can be seen in the pics below, there was also a thick foam over top of the amp.

The build quality of the amp is very good, as I had expected as I have only heard good things about Cypher Labs products.

Sound Quality:
5 out of 5 and still improving.

Out of the box I was actually having a little bit of buyers remorse as I found the soundstage quite congested and the overall sound was hard to describe, kind of messy. I actually found it tough to listen to and I was even skipping some of my favourite songs.

Now after 7-8 hours of burn-in I would put the sound quality of S84 at least on par with or even above the Liquid Carbon (which I love).   Now this amp seems to have become very smooth, lush, but yet detailed, and airy, while still remaining engaging. The soundstage has REALLY opened up and instrument separation has greatly improved.  Vocals are stunning and realistic.

With no music playing the background is completely quiet and free of hiss with my Angie IEM's and Dita IEM's, as well as my Nighthawk HP. I haven't tried my SE-846 yet, but I also don't plan on using them with this amp.
The Sustain84 also drives my HE-500 with ease even on the low gain setting, dynamics are excellent and most of my listening with the HE-500 is between 11 and 12 o'clock on the volume dial.  I always feel that the dynamics are missing when trying to drive the HE-500 directly out of the Hugo.

The S84 seems to run fairly cool, almost all of the heat comes from the tubes.  The transformer area seems to be just slightly above room temp.

I feel the sustain 84 is one of my better purchases, and I am now very happy I took the chance.

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #12 of 20
Hi Dave74!

I was wondering if you ever got to audition the Microzotl 2.0 when you were lusting for it? I'm facing the exact same dilemma as you right now, only the products are reversed, where i'd be getting the MZ2 with the upgraded power supply (almost 2k USD if bought IN the states) for almost about 1.5k USD here in the UK (second hand).

If you have auditioned it, how would they compare? Thanks in advance!

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 20
  Hi Dave74!

I was wondering if you ever got to audition the Microzotl 2.0 when you were lusting for it? I'm facing the exact same dilemma as you right now, only the products are reversed, where i'd be getting the MZ2 with the upgraded power supply (almost 2k USD if bought IN the states) for almost about 1.5k USD here in the UK (second hand).

If you have auditioned it, how would they compare? Thanks in advance!

Hi concreteroze,

Sorry for the late reply, I don't think I received a notification that you had quoted me.

I never did try a Microzotl 2.0 so I can't help you with that, sorry. 

I finally ordered a pair of HD650's though on Black Friday, and they were waiting at home for me after I got back from work last night (work out of town) and I am actually surprised that I prefer them through the Sustain84 over my Liquid Carbon (balanced).  I actually came back to this thread to post how happy I am with the combination. The Sustain84 powers the HD650 effortlessly on high gain, lots of micro details and a hint of tubeiness, sounds good even at low volumes.  This is with Hugo as a DAC for either amp.   I am surprised that more people haven't heard or tried the Sustain84, I think it is probably due to pricing though, but Marcus does go into the cost of components in his review compared to lower end tube amps.

You would still be best off to try both if you could and see what you prefer yourself...For me the deal on the Sustain84 was too good to pass up at the time, especially with the lower CND$ and the fact that I only paid (I think it was $700 plus taxes for the S84 which probably would have been around $530US for the Sustain84.)  No regrets:)  I still wonder if they had a pricing error on their website or if they were just trying to clear out stock.

I do think Marcus' review is spot on BWT in the link I provided in one of my above posts.

Here is another good review that I would say accurately describes it.

Cypher Labs Sustain84 Headphone Amplifier | Headphone.Guru

May 11, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #14 of 20
Sorry for necro bump..seems like not much users of this amp.
Ordered in a B stock Sustain amp at a steal...I pair this with the T1.2s...
The t1.2s still sucked. Gonna order in some Mullard and Sylvania ECL84. However so far pretty pleasant out of my LCD3f.

They made my HD650 darker as compared to the more vibrant Elemental Watson II ($250) pairing at over a fifth of the Sustain’s original suggested retail price (rly gave it a hard run for its price). Will report with more findings if a discussion starts rolling

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 20
Sorry for necro bump..seems like not much users of this amp.
Ordered in a B stock Sustain amp at a steal...I pair this with the T1.2s...
The t1.2s still sucked. Gonna order in some Mullard and Sylvania ECL84. However so far pretty pleasant out of my LCD3f.

They made my HD650 darker as compared to the more vibrant Elemental Watson II ($250) pairing at over a fifth of the Sustain’s original suggested retail price (rly gave it a hard run for its price). Will report with more findings if a discussion starts rolling
Hi there! I just received my new Sustain 84 a few days ago and have really been enjoying it. I wanted to ask what your impressions have been with tube rolling with the Mullards or Sylvania’s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back